Can you recommend some threads to read?

Google lead me here through a couple rather old threads that had maybe 1 or 2 comments on the topic; I figure someone or several someones have already done a similar project but the keywords might be off from what I am looking for.

I am buying an older car, 89 Mercury Grand Marquis, that is all original and I want to keep it that way. However these cars came with Idiot lights in the dash rather than gauges and I would like to have some additional monitoring on the Power train. Mainly I am looking for Oil pressure and Coolant temp though once this mod is operational it would be easy to add other functions. I want the system self contained and removal\restorable. The car has a digital clock in the center of the dash like this that I think would be easy to hack, would require no dash modification, and could easily be replaced with the OEM part if need be.

My Idea is to use an Arduino or similar Microprocessor (Pi Zero or a teensy might be more ideal) and drive the OEM LCD to scroll through the clock, Oil pressure, and Coolant temp. I have a basic background and understanding of how to code this and have done projects in the past on a Basic Stamp; I am mostly looking for sample code and recommendations on what hardware to use for this. If you know of a similar project please feel free to comment the link, certainly not looking to rehash a conversation that has probably already happened, just looking for guidance to finished projects.

They are called "idiot lights" because the sensors are just cheap switches. your first project will be to replace the sensors with devices to give you analog readings. Then you can proceed with designing the Arduino interfaces.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: They are called "idiot lights" because the sensors are just cheap switches. your first project will be to replace the sensors with devices to give you analog readings. Then you can proceed with designing the Arduino interfaces.

Paul

I am aware, and thus as part of the recommendations for hardware I would appreciate input on replacement sensors, The oil pressure is easy enough as there is a direct replacement from Motorcraft that "Should" work as it is for the OEM electric gauges as it is used in cars with the same ECM but more "informative" dash clusters.

Just looking to NOT reinvent the wheel here, if someone has a working project then I am looking for information on it.