Can you use a GPS without a shield

I'm really new to Arduino and have been searching on Google but found nothing, so basically exactly what the subject says; can you use a GPS without a shield, and if you can how do you?

Thanks for your help in advance

I have an old Garmin eTrex hooked up to an Arduino via a MAX232, so the answer must be "probably".

as i said I'm really new to this and have no idea what I'm doing, wow would i go about connecting say a FV-M8 to an Arduino

Thanks

One of these? http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16161

wow would i go about connecting say a FV-M8 to an Arduino

As the sheet says, very carefully, partcularly if you're running the Arduino (you haven't said which one you intend using) off 5V.

something like that i guess, could you suggest something more simplistic. i was thinking something like a duemilanove. what would you suggest for a beginner?

Thanks

A beginner to 1) AVR/Arduino 2) GPS or 3) programming?

1 and 2 i have done a bit in software development using various languages.

Thanks

There are a load of serial GPS modules you can buy. It is normally easier to use a 3.3v arduino so you don't need to have level converters etc. for the GPS that are normally at 3.3v.

Mowcius

I'd get comfortable with serial handling on the Arduino first, then look at the issues of interfacing a 3.3V GPS with a 5V Arduino.

I think connecting Tx from the GPS to the Arduino' serial Rx isn't going to be a problem, so if you can live with the defaults on the GPS then you may not have any issues, but if you need to have the Arduino talk back to the GPS, then you may need some level-shifting (which may be as simple as a potential divider) to make sure you don't damage the GPS's Rx input.

I think connecting Tx from the GPS to the Arduino' serial Rx isn't going to be a problem

Yeah that is normally ok as a 3.3V high (3.3V) is still above a 5V low (2.5V)

Mowcius

... connecting say a FV-M8

This particular model is only 2.8V at logic high and that's a stretch for a 5V Duemlillanove. The module also supports some configuration options that would require both Rx and Tx. So expect to add 5V/2V8 level conversion to make full use of this module.