Can you use Cat5e to connect sensors and LEDs?

Hello all, I was wondering if it is possible to use Cat5e cables instead of standard hookup wire to connect a few LEDs and sensors to the arduino. It would only be about 10 feet, so my question is as to whether or not Cat5e cable can reliably handle the 5v supply and accurately carry any signal back to the arduino.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your help.

Yes. It's just 26 guage wire I think.

Use a twisted pair for the sensor to help reduce common mode problems.

It's as good as any other wire.

Except for one warning that has been cited here before.

Some versions of Cat5e are in fact aluminium wire, apparently copper plated. This is designed for use with IDC ("insulation displacement") connectors using mechanical bonding rather than soldering and does not solder reliably. So in general, you probably should only terminate it using appropriate connectors and use the corresponding (PCB type) jacks to wire it to the sensors and such.

Or just look to see if its copper colored or silver colored.

I figured that it would be just fine, but I have been using 22 AWG wire and I wasn't quite sure. I will look into whether or not what I have is copper or aluminium. Using Cat5e would save me a TON of time and effort twisting wires because I sadly do not have access to a power drill currently.

I notice Sparkfun recently added 2 servo breakout boards for servos, sensors, etc. that use cat6 cables, and provide 6 ports for data, power, and ground:

If you use an Arduino, Mega, Leonardo that uses a standard Uno shield layout, Adafruit has this patch shield that allows you to connect up to 4 cat5 cables to 4 remote locations, each one getting 8 wires: Patch shield for Arduino [v5.01] : ID 256 : $19.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

If you need breakouts to get to the RJ-45 wires, you can go with pre-packaged solutions like: Patch shield for Arduino [v5.01] : ID 256 : $19.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits.

Or you can roll your own, for example: Toolless Type Keystone Jacks for Data or Telco | Deep Surplus.

Here is a vendor that posted about this in the product forum recently with their own long distance setup: http://www.smartgreenhouse.org/index.php/products/accessories/catkit-long-distance-connectivity.