cannot clear or change 8x8 led display

I have the 8x8 red led display with MAX7219 driver. I've haven't been able to change the led configuration at all. It is stuck like this:

11011011 11011011 00000000 00000000 11011011 11011011 11011011 11011011

Here is the code I am using to just try and make it go blank:

#include "LedControl.h"

LedControl lc = LedControl(12,11,10,1);  // Pins: DIN,CLK,CS, # of Display connected

void setup()
{
    lc.shutdown(0,false);  // Wake up displays
    lc.setIntensity(0,8);  // Set intensity levels
    lc.clearDisplay(0);  // Clear Displays
}

void loop()
{
}

Really want to get on with the project. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

The LedControl library requires row cathode-column anode 8x8 LED display.

that’s what I have, right?

Don’t know. Can’t tell from the photo.

But my guess is that you have the other kind of 8x8 LED matrix display.

Those male-male pin jumpers are garbage. The pins are too thin. Try replacing them all. I solder male headers on to that type of board, so I can use female-female jumpers directly.

This is the display that I have: HSN-1088AS

I've switched the orientation of the display, driver, and connections to arduino and can't figure out what is going on.

What happens when you run LCDemoMatrix.ino?

I sincerely hope you didn't try putting the IC into the socket backwards? That could destroy the chip.

Did you assemble it as a kit, or was it pre-built?

same deal with LCDemoMatrix.ino

It came pre-built, but I thought whoever built it may have put something in the wrong way. Showing same display now as it did when I first connected power and ground.

bradmartin:
This is the display that I have: HSN-1088AS

I’ve switched the orientation of the display, driver, and connections to arduino and can’t figure out what is going on.

That is the right type of 8x8 LED matrix.

I have never bought that type of PCB before.

Remove the 8x8 LED matrix and use a digital multimeter to verify connections of the 8x8 to the MAX7219.

In the photo, you have the IC in backwards. look at the "D" half moon on the chip and on the solder mask.

aarg: In the photo, you have the IC in backwards. look at the "D" half moon on the chip and on the solder mask.

and now it works! coulda sworn I tried that, but no matter - it works now. thank you.