Cannot connect PPC's Serial with Arduino?

Hi all,
I’ve a IPAQ hw6515 with serial output. (which tested with PC’s Serial port)
Also I have a USB-Arduino and a Max3232 converter.
With arduino and converter it can communicate with PC’s serial port as well.
But when i connect PPC->Converter->Arduino, this did not work at all.

Cannot send/recv any data from serial debug soft from PPC.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. PPC is short for Pocket PC, a PDA running Windows Mobile 2003SE. My Converter is a module to convert the arduino(TTL) to rs232 levels. Converter is fine, cause I tested arduino->converter->PC's rs232 Serial port, which works well. (converter has a rs232 input and output RX/TX/VCC/GND which plug into Arduino board) My arduino is Arduino Duemilanove. And I also tested arduino->converter->PC, works well.

PS: converter's serial port and PPC's serial port are both female. So i find a male to male rs232/DB9 connector to connect ppc and converter.

Make sure your DB9 adapter isn't aligning tx to tx and rx to rx between the arduino and PPC.

I've just made a connector(ppc and converter) myself, doesn't work too, that means the connector is ok.

Make sure your DB9 adapter isn't aligning tx to tx and rx to rx between the arduino and PPC.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused, how to do that? you mean the converter mayb align data? how does it happen?

That's the converter.

i just simply plug the adapter output RX/TX into Arduino's TX/RX. (Reverse the sequence) Nothing happens. should i try to reverse the input sequnence of adapter?

With the same sequence connect adapter and Arduino(as it labeled on adapter) , i can communicate with arduino using PC's serial port (PC's serial port -> adapter -> Arduino), but failed on PPC->adapter->Arduino

Does the serial port have the client/host difference? if it does, maybe my PPC's serial port is client mode, like USB?

See http://www.beyondlogic.org/serial/serial.htm

for info about serial ports you may ned to swap pins 2 and 3 over at one end of your lead. There are two types of serial device Data Terminating Equipment DTE and Data Conecting Equipment DCE, similar types can be connected but the pins are crossed between the two, look up pinouts of RS232 for more info, you may need to make your own lead, simple 3 wire leads are all you need for most tasks. Also make sure that the baud rates match.

Thanks brightbell.

With two female serial cables, i really need make a swap, not connect them directly. I'll give a try tommorrow and reply this thread, thanks m8. :D

It doesn't bring out DTR , so if you want to use it for uploading sketches you'll need to learn the art of pressing reset at the right time during the upload process.

It doesn't bring out DTR , so if you want to use it for uploading sketches you'll need to learn the art of pressing reset at the right time during the upload process.

thanks. For uploading i use a usb cable, it's auto as you know. Serial input is for communicating with Arduino, cause PPC has more powerful CPU and could do advance programming.

Finally it works!

Thanks guys, you really helped me out.

2 -> 3

[ch12288][ch12288] 3 -> 2

[ch12288][ch12288] 4 -> 6

[ch12288][ch12288] 5 -> 5

[ch12288][ch12288] 6 -> 4

[ch12288][ch12288] 7 -> 8

[ch12288][ch12288] 8 -> 7