Cannot connect to Yun at all (not through USB or WiFi)

Hi! I'm not exactly sure where to start. I just hope I don't have a bad board.

I just got an Arduino Yun a week ago. I set it up, and then I unplugged it and left it until today. I plugged the mini-USB from my computer into the Yun, and I tried to upload some code to it. The COM was not listed either IP or USB. Nothing showed up. I reinstalled the Arduino IDE with drivers. I followed every other forum topic that I could find that had a similar issue, but none of those topics seemed to work for me.

As of now, there are two lights on. Pin 13 (red), and TX (yellow). These lights are constant. None of the reset buttons seem to do anything.

I connected the Yun to another computer, but there was no change.

Computer #1: Windows 7 64 bit
Computer #2: Windows 8 64 bit

I really appreciate any feedback. I am willing to try anything to get this working. Thank you.

Edit:
Also tried a nightly build

To reset the OpenWrt-Yun distribution to its default state, press the WiFi reset button (WLAN RST) for at least 30 seconds. The board reverts to the original settings: like just taken out of the box or to the latest update of the OpenWRT image you have reflashed before. Among other things, this removes all installed files and network settings.

Find out Arduino ip address by android phone/pad (Use Yun's Ethernet port for reliable connection)

After got ip address use ssh login it.

Install Yun driver for windows.

Some time 32u4 USB port is missing, reflash 32u4 USB firmware.

Thanks! I'll try it soon, sometime tomorrow probably. I thought it would be a great idea while waiting for a response to try to open an old capacitor with a pocketknife. Turns out I had to apply a lot of pressure and the pocketknife closed on my finger. I am an idiot.

To reset the OpenWrt-Yun distribution to its default state, press the WiFi reset button (WLAN RST) for at least 30 seconds.

It's certainly worth a try, but keep in mind that this will only work once the Linux side of the Yun is fully booted up. If Linux is not booting properly (the white LED doesn't come on full after a minute or two) it's unlikely this will work.

Also, this shouldn't really be affecting the USB connection: it should be recognized as a serial port, and a sketch should be able to be loaded through the USB port regardless of what the Linux side is doing.

A common question that is asked at a time like this: is the white USB LED dimly lit? I've gotten an answer what this means, but if it is, the usual response is to contact customer service for a replacement.

ShapeShifter:
It's certainly worth a try, but keep in mind that this will only work once the Linux side of the Yun is fully booted up. If Linux is not booting properly (the white LED doesn't come on full after a minute or two) it's unlikely this will work.

for my understand guess reset 30 secs should work as long as uboot works, linux boot after uboot. As a matter of fact it designed for recover Linux crash. OP just got an Arduino Yun a week ago, unlike figure out how to damage uboot. :stuck_out_tongue:

FYI;-

how to fix prevent uboot crash:

or

RMA like ShapeShifter recommendation.

sonnyyu:
for my understand reset 30 secs should work as long as uboot works, linux boot after uboot. As a matter of fact it designed for recover Linux crash. OP just got an Arduino Yun a week ago, unlike figure out how to damage uboot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then how does it work? My understanding is that the factory reset was triggered by /usr/bin/wifi-reset-button-released which is triggered by triggerhappy. How would they be active before the system has booted and started triggerhappy? (/etc/rc.d/S93triggerhappy)

Is there an independent mechanism within uboot itself? If so, where is this documented?

ShapeShifter:
Then how does it work? My understanding is that the factory reset was triggered by /usr/bin/wifi-reset-button-released which is triggered by triggerhappy. How would they be active before the system has booted and started triggerhappy? (/etc/rc.d/S93triggerhappy)

Is there an independent mechanism within uboot itself? If so, where is this documented?

@ShapeShifter,

FYI: the 30 second reset presume you have Linux running. I don't have the script at hand, but this is the case; it does loop until 30+ seconds are count, and then it takes action. Do you want me to find it?

By the way, what does OP stand for?

Jesse

Uboot source.

jessemonroy650:
FYI: the 30 second reset presume you have Linux running. I don't have the script at hand, but this is the case; it does loop until 30+ seconds are count, and then it takes action. Do you want me to find it?

No need to find it, the name of the script is included in the text you quoted from my post. I don't have any question about how it's handled once Linux is fully booted. The question is whether uboot includes that functionality.

My comment is that the 30 second press won't register until after Linux is booted. sonnyyu contends that uboot also handles the 30 second press. If that's true, then there is another undocumented timing consideration, in that the press would have to start in that few seconds that uboot is running after power up.

The documentation makes no mention if any timing restrictions as to when the 30 second press can be made. That's my issue, because I don't think you can do it any time, but only when the system is actually looking for it.

By the way, what does OP stand for?

Original Post or Original Poster

sonnyyu:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=260595.msg1840782#msg1840782

Uboot source.

You really expect me to download over two megabytes of source code (compressed!) and search it in order to determine the answer to a contention you make but are unwilling to answer?

I've already spent too much time researching the possibility of a restore function built into uboot. So far I've found nothing to imply such a capability, everything I've found so far only proposes restore operations similar to the Arduino instructions that say how to re-flash uboot/kernel/rootfs.

ShapeShifter:
You really expect me to download over two megabytes of source code (compressed!) and search it in order to determine the answer to a contention you make but are unwilling to answer?

Not unwilling to answer, I have no definite answer. I changes word from understand to guess. The Yun flash layout split two. one for show and one for stay, and uboot is enable to swap them at boot...

I prefer hardware solution than software one, that is sop8 socket come from.

@ShapeShifter & @SonnyYu,

Can your confirm:

#1) on power up 3 LEDs blink. It appears to be RX, ON & USB
#2) Just after power up, 3 LEDs are active (ON, WAN, & RX)

• ON LED is solid the entire time
  • WAN comes on just after it blinks with RX
    #3) after a second or two:
  • RX blinks once (again)
  • WAN goes out just after RX blinks
    #4) after about two minutes, if the pre-set AP is not available the WLAN LED starts to blink.

Two (2) notes,

1. RX blink may vary depending on OS (Operating System) of the host computer.
  2. I am not completely sure of #4) at this point.

TIA
Jesse