Cannot detect brand new Arduino MEGA2560 on Pi (USB) or PC

Hi there,

I just bought an Arduino MEGA2560 R3 kit to learn how these things work, but I am hopelessly stuck at the first step: I cannot get any computer to even recognize the board. So I need help in connecting the MEGA to a Raspberry Pi or a PC.

When I plug the board into the Pi using a USB cable, nothing happens on the Pi side: it is not detected and recognized at all, not even dmesg sees anything. The Arduino itself does respond, the Green "ON" light turns on, and the yellow "L" light is blinking indefinitely. But the Pi does not see anything, and therefore cannot send any programs to it.

Using the Arduino editor software (18.1) and trying to upload the Blink script just gives me this error:

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Linux), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 1482 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

But in all fairness if I disconnect the board from the Pi and try to upload a script to it anyway as a test, I get the same error message.

For troubleshooting purposes I also tried connecting the MEGA to a windows PC: again, not recognized by the PC in any way, does not show up in the device manager, is not playing any "USB drive connected" sound - so altogether no response from the PC either, but the MEGA board again lights up just the same way as it did when connected to the Pi.

I spent days looking at forums and trying to come up with something of no avail, any help much appreciated. How can I get a simple blink program to run on my new Arduino MEGA 2560?

Thanks for reading all this!

(deleted)

Good call, I'll get hold of a new cable and try it out. The cable of course looks normal and it came with the kit, but you never know. In the meantime other suggestions are also welcome, any help is appreciated.

Where did you buy it and could you post a decent pic of the board please ?

If its not playing well with a PC am thinking maybe CH340 driver issue ?

Hi,

I bought it on Amazon, its this kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IUZK3JO/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

I attached a picture of the thing too, it looks undamaged to me.

Apart from the cable I’ll look into the CH340 driver too, although I have absolutely no idea what that is at the moment. :slight_smile:

Dont think you need to worry about CH340 drivers.

However there have been a few people very recently with that brand of board having similar issues.

So maybe its a bad batch or brand (hope not)

Update: Tried with two other USB cables, no change. Also tried plugging in an Arduino UNO which got instantly recognized and was programmable within seconds. I conclude that the MEGA board I received is faulty.