Cannot down load sketch

After installing the IDE, the the LED L (near pin 13) started to blink. From sketch prepare a simple blinking LED, verified and selected download but and error message appeared. The red LED on the breadboard was not blinking. Obviously there is no 5 volts supply. The LED L on the UNO continue to blink. Please help.

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

Don’t post screenshots of text! That is very unhelpful. When you encounter an error you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button. Paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar). It is almost never appropriate to post screenshots but in some cases it is helpful to post images. You should attach and embed the image following these instructions:

The correct term is “upload”, not “download”.

Looks like you did not select the correct COM port in the IDE. COM 1 is usually not the Arduino.

Thanks for responding. I am new to Arduino.

My COM port is correct. I verified by disconnecting & reconnecting the USB cable.

No response when clicking "Copy Error Message". Nothing happens.

Checking further, changed the "int redLED" from pin 9 to pin 13 on the UNO. No change in the LED blinking on the UNO.

vchan2327:
No response when clicking “Copy Error Message”. Nothing happens.

When you click that button it copies the errors to the clipboard. Which allows you to then easily paste the text here on the forum. You’re not going to see any visible action when you click the button. Do you understand how to copy and paste? If not, you need to learn right now because it’s an essential skill.

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

vchan2327:
Checking further, changed the “int redLED” from pin 9 to pin 13 on the UNO. No change in the LED blinking on the UNO.

Of course that won’t have a change. Modifying the code does nothing if you can’t upload it to the Uno.

Thanks for all the help you have given.I really appreciate it. I have got it started finally
You know of any source or book that can explain clearly the code
Phrasing the code is a problem
The electronics is not a problem
It's not that simple as the starter book says.

The first thing you need to know is that Arduino sketches are C++. You can find documentation of the standard Arduino library functions as well as some basics of general C++ here:
http://www.arduino.cc/reference/en
And tutorials for the example sketches found in the Arduino IDE under File > Examples here:

But because it's C++, you are not restricted solely to the information out there specifically about programming for Arduino. You can find a huge amount of information about general C++ programming. You do need to be aware that much of this information will assume you are writing the code to run on a computer but we are writing code for a microcontroller which has limited memory and outputs so you need to be able to filter the useful information from that which is not applicable.

I found this to be a good introduction to C++ programming:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
It starts with the basics. I'm not sure I would recommend just reading straight through it since some of the information in later chapters is on more advanced topics that you don't necessarily need to know as a beginner. So feel free to say "good enough for now", then come back to the tutorial when you're ready to learn more. I'm sure there are plenty other good C++ resources. That's just the one I happened to find when I needed it.

vchan2327:
Thanks for all the help you have given.I really appreciate it. I have got it started finally

Congratulations. It would be interesting to know what was wrong and how you solved it :wink: