Cannot download to Nano

No matter what I do I cannot download a sketch to a Nano. I believe I am communicating with it because I can open the serial monitor, hit enter key and see the RX LED flash. The Nano is a Gravitech bare board. But when I try to download a sketch I get the following errors:

Using Port : COM3 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 57600

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied. avrdude done. Thank you. Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

I have tried: Different cables: Downloading an updated FTDI driver from ftdichip.com. Different ports Different settings on the ports Pressing reset before and during the download. Reading all the online help

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit. I have the port set for 57600, 8, n, 1, no flow. But have tried other settings and ports. The Arduino IDE is version 1.6 and is set for the Nano, Com3, 328 processor, ArduinoISP programmer. I see other have had this problem but I do not see an answer other than to reset the board.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sparky4460: No matter what I do I cannot download a sketch to a Nano. I believe I am communicating with it because I can open the serial monitor, hit enter key and see the RX LED flash. The Nano is a Gravitech bare board. But when I try to download a sketch I get the following errors:

Using Port : COM3 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 57600

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied. avrdude done. Thank you. Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

I have tried: Different cables: Downloading an updated FTDI driver from ftdichip.com. Different ports Different settings on the ports Pressing reset before and during the download. Reading all the online help

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit. I have the port set for 57600, 8, n, 1, no flow. But have tried other settings and ports. The Arduino IDE is version 1.6 and is set for the Nano, Com3, 328 processor, ArduinoISP programmer. I see other have had this problem but I do not see an answer other than to reset the board.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Did you install Arduino IDE with administrator privileges? Do you have privileges?

Yes. I am an administrator. I should also mention that I have been successfully downloading sketches to an UNO with no problem.

Have you checked with USB to serial converter on the Nano to make sure you have the correct drivers? Does it have and FTDI or CH340?

Yes it is an FTDI chip. I tried the original driver and I downloaded the latest driver from FTDIChip.com. I even did a loop back test and it worked OK. I am communicating with the board I just cannot upload a sketch.

Did the Nano ever work?

If you are passing the loop back test with the Nano, then the serial interface is working. Since you have another Uno, you can try to burn the boatloader on the Nano through the ICSP pins. Some clones come without the bootloader. Here's one link-- https://sysexit.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/burning-a-bootloader-to-an-arduino-nano-using-another-arduino/

Google will get you plenty more.

If you loaded a sketch that hogs serial you could try pressing reset just before an upload actually starts. This will take a few goes to get the timing right though.

No I have never been able to download a sketch. But have been able to communicate. The loopback confirms that. I suspect it is the bootloader as well I was just looking for someone more experience than me to confirm. I am a novice.

I have a bootloaded on order but if it doesn't come I will try the UNO approach. Looks interesting.

Is this a clone? I thought I read Gravitech is the original designer of the board.