Cannot find board

Hi, I have recently discovered a new problem with my board.

The first issue was that it wouldn’t upload the program (the program is fine - verified and uploaded previously). The error message I was getting basically said that it couldn’t find the board. I have tried a different computer, and, assuming that I know the program is fine, the only consistent factors in both attempts are the cable and the Uno board.

I have researched this issue and tried a few things including, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, unplugging the board, and disconnecting all additional circuitry. Unfortunately none of this appeared to work as now the port won’t even appear in the ‘Tool’ tab whereas before it did even though uploading was unsuccessful.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what how to fix this issue or even just with what the issue might be - even if it is unfixable.

Thanks in advance
Mitchell

Make sure the USB cable is completely plugged in to both the Uno and the PC.

You may have a damaged/defective or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

Never suspected the cable might be broken, I will try a different cable, as you say. It is definitely not a charge-only cable because I have used it multiple times for uploading.

The first thing I did was to check if it was completely in at both ends and I have tried all the USB ports on the computer.

Are there any other methods of uploading programs?

Mitchell

Please post the actual error message, dont paraphrase it.

The correct course of action is to fix this problem, not look for other ways to upload. Either you are doing something wrong, or the board is damaged - in both those cases trying to find a different way to upload is a waste of time.

I meant to copy the error message but in the interests of asking this question whilst I thought of it, I opted to post the error message later - perhaps I should've stated that.

As for finding an alternative method - I was thinking if there was an issue with the cable and I don't have an alternative cable (I need to look) was there another method for which I may have a cable. I have used other boards and systems before where this was possible, hence the question.

I will post the message the next time I have the opportunity. Accessing the project is not as simple as removing a breadboard from a shelf you understand.

Mitchell

The full error message:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

Sketch uses 4988 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 268 bytes (13%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1780 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Student\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_665877/Train_Control.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf”

Using Port : COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

Mitchell

It doesn't look like full error message. Post also the rest of it.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Student\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_665877/Train_Control.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Now that is strange, it says an error occurred uploading the sketch BEFORE it tries to upload it! Is there nothing after what you posted? I would expect there to be a bunch more output after that ending in an error...

Just got a new cable to rule out that as a potential issue.

This is the new full error message. There is definitely no more that can be copied this time.

Sketch uses 4988 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 268 bytes (13%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1780 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Student\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_215041/Train_Control.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Never come across anything like this before so any input is welcome.

Mitchell

You need to select the port of the board from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board menu. If the port of your board is not showing up in that menu, then there is no chance the upload is going to be successful. You need to find the problem that is causing the port to not appear.

Sorry for disappearing for a while, been a busy week.

Thanks for the reply.
I am familiar with the Tools --> Port step in downloading and the odd thing is that sometimes the port does appear and others it doesn't. Obviously, if the port doesn't appear then I don't bother attempting to download. I usually go and look on the Device Manager of the laptop but its not appearing there either.

Just a thought, though bear in mind, I am not familiar with the RX/TX features of pins 0 and 1. I have been reading this thread on using pins 0 and 1 for digital I/O:

Could the issue be to do with me using pins 0 and 1 as inputs as well as using Serial Communication for debugging?

Mitchell

Having something connected to the Uno's pin 0 or 1 can certainly cause upload failures, but it wouldn't normally be expected to cause the port to not show up. The only way I can think of for that to happen is if the thing you have connected to one of those pins is exposing it to conditions outside its rating (e.g., drawing too much current or supplying too much, or negative, voltage). That could damage the USB to TTL serial chip on the Uno that causes the port to appear on your computer.

If I understand you correctly, then that rules that out. Both of pins 0 and 1 were only connected to two separate reed switches which were connected to ground. The pull-up resistor were activated on both pins.

Based on this theory though I have tested the board and there appears to be continuity between both the TX and RX pins whereas on another board there is no such response.

??

Any suggestions welcome.