I'm new to Arduino but have been using an Uno successfully for a few days. I just got a Nano 33 BLE and it is doing all sorts of weird things when I try to upload sketches. Here are some example steps:
- I installed fresh Arduino IDE after uninstalling and deleting "Arduino15" folder.
- I installed "Arduino nRF528x Boards (Mbed OS)" version 1.1.2 to get support for Arduino Nano 33 BLE board.
- I plugged in the Nano 33 BLE via USB.
- Under "Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT)," a new "USB Serial Device (COM5)" item shows up.
- I choose my board and port under the Tools menu. Note that "COM5 (Arduino Nano 33 BLE)" was the only option.
- I try to upload a sketch.
- Compilation takes way longer than it used to with the Uno, but I'll worry about that later.
Once it starts uploading the weirdness begins…
- I hear the Windows "hardware just got added/removed" noise.
- Under "Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT)," "USB Serial Device (COM5)" changes to COM4.
- I hear the Windows "hardware just got added/removed" again.
- Under "Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT)," "COM4" changes back to "USB Serial Device (COM5)."
- The bottom right of Arduinio IDE changes from "Arduino Nano 33 BLE on COM5" to "Arduino Nano 33 BLE on COM4."
- I get errors about not being able to connect to the COM port e.g. "Error opening serial port 'COM5'." or "Error while setting serial port parameters: 9,600 N 8 1"
- Sometimes my selection of the port under the Tools menu will just go away (back to just the word "Port" with sub menu).
- Sometimes I get duplicates in the "Tools > Port" menu like having two COM4 entries and one COM5 entry.
- Somehow, magically, the board gets programmed occasionally, but not usually.
I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates.
Note: Everything works fine if I use the online IDE. The COM port under device manager does the same thing where it switches from COM5 to 4 and back to 5 but with the online IDE there are no issues and the sketch uploads just fine.
I found a bunch of solutions on this forum, like double pressing the reset button, trying different USB cables, trying different USB ports, running the IDE as admin, etc... but nothing seems to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!