Cannot Program Atmega328-PU

I have 6 Atmega328-PU's that stopped flashing after I uploaded a program that causes it to endlessly watchdog. The chips work, I see the expected output of the program on the serial console. I tried burning the bootloader again(the process succeeded on all of them), but I still cannot flash.

The infamous error when trying to upload new programs:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have three different genuine Duemilanove boards I've tested as well as three different computers. I have other micros that never ran the code I can till flash perfectly on the boards.

How can I resurrect these things?

• Start the Arduino IDE
  • Load an empty sketch
  • Ensure the sketch compiles
  • Connect the board to the computer
  • Hold the reset button on the board
  • Start an upload
  • At the moment the IDE displays a message that uploading has started, release the reset button

I have attempted your suggested procedure without success. I've ensured the RESET-EN trace is in tact on the board as well.

FuzzyWombatSoup:
I have attempted your suggested procedure without success.

Via ICSP?

It’s the actual Arduino board itself I’m using.
Here’s the avrdude invocation:

/home/me/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/home/me/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/ttyUSB1 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build1125770058844462265.tmp/sketch_sep11a.cpp.hex:i

The device in this case is indeed on ttyUSB1.

FuzzyWombatSoup:
I tried burning the bootloader again(the process succeeded on all of them),...

How did you do this? Using a USBtinyISP (or sim.) or with "Arduino as ISP" wired up to an external board?

Arduino as ISP wired to a breadboard.

Have you tried uploading a sketch via your Arduino as ISP facility?

I just tried burning the bootloader on each chip via https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP. That succeeded, and I was able to upload a sketch to each micro now and verify they work! Thanks! What could I have possibly done that would require the bootloader to be burned again?