Cannot read serial data from Venus GPS

I just received a venus GPS module from sparkfun and I am trying to hook it up on an arduino pro 3.3v.

The gps seems to work fine using the FTDI chip and hyperterminal. I get steady transmits of NMEA on 9600

However, when I try to read the data using arduino, I never seem to be able to read things. I have tried both hardware serial and software serial, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone please post some code that is actually working so that I can test my setup?

I have vcc and gnd hooked on arduino VCC (3.13v) and gnd, and I have hooked venus TX to arduino 0(RX) and its RX to 1(TX).

Any suggestions?

post your code

I was using the basic and crude serial reader for debugging . But nothing happens

By the way, I am powering both arduino and venus through FTDI. Does it provide enough current to normally power both of them?

int incomingByte = 0;      // for incoming serial data

void setup() {
      Serial.begin(9600);      // opens serial port, sets data rate to 9600 bps
}

void loop() {

// send data only when you receive data:
      if (Serial.available() > 0) {
            // read the incoming byte:
            incomingByte = Serial.read();

// say what you got:
            Serial.print("I received: ");
            Serial.println(incomingByte, DEC);
      }
}

you got to tell it where you're getting it from... look at my post about my gps it may help you

Are you sure you should be using a byte to store the GPS info? I think a string would be more appropriate.

I have a GPS with the same chipset used on Venus GPS, and I solved the problem for mine.

If anyone is willing to try:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1278896700/0

Cheers,

Antonio Santos