Cannot run sketches on Adafruit Uno R3 + Windows 7 64 bit

Hi – I just got an Uno R3 from Adafruit (starter package) and am using Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried the Troubleshooting Guide and did not get any solutions. I have also browsed the 1st few pages of the forum for ideas.
The Uno always powers on and has a blinking yellow light over USB. Following the Adafruit tutorial, I installed the Virtual COM Port Drivers for Win 64 using the executable. I had some driver problems but I was eventually able to get rid of those by browsing to the appropriate folder. Uno is visible on Com4 port in Windows Device Manager and it is visible on same port in the Arduino.exe executable environment. Uno is selected under Tools/Board in Arduino environment.
When I try to upload the Blink sketch, it takes a long time and seems to get stuck at the last step for several minutes. Eventually I get the error message (below) about the COM port being busy. Wondering if I could get some help as I am just getting started and hitting this snag.

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port ‘COM4’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:144)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:76)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:75)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:88)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:66)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1664)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1624)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1578)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2314)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port ‘COM4’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:99)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:88)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:66)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1664)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1624)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1578)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2314)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Tried uninstalling driver in Device Manager and then re-installing, did not work.

Hi.

The tutorials by Ladyada are very nice, but I am not sure her installation guide works well with the latest version of Arduino.
I recently purchased my first Arduino R3, and I was able to install it under Win 7 64 bit after some troubles, so here I details the steps:

1. I suggest that you completely remove the Arduino driver you installed
  2. When you first connect the board to the PC with the USB cable, you should see an "Arduino" listed under Device Manager->Other devices.
  3. clicking on the item for updating, choose the folder "drivers" under the Arduino installation folder.
  4. At this point, the PC should correct install the drivers, and you should be able to correctly work with the IDE.

Let's try, and please inform us if this works (lately there are many question about R3 and Win 7).

Ciao

@Relaxin
I own an Uno R3 also on W7 x64 and the drivers had no issues.

I encountered that error message before when I forgot to close a 3rd party serial monitor software before uploading a sketch.
The 3rd party program was still holding onto the COM port and disallowed the Arduino IDE from accessing it.

I’m a trial and error guy so maybe try disabling your antivirus or any firewall? Ive known some notorious firewalls that even stop me from running my c++ programs correctly.