Cannot start IDE under Windows 7 after reinstall

Hi,

Please help me, you are my only hope. Though I might not be in such a desperate Situation as Princess Leia, I still miss my Arduino IDE a lot, being in the middle of a Major Project.

So it all started yesterday: I decided to create a library for my useful function, so that they do not litter my sketch (less Scrolling, more clean code etc.). I used IDE 1.6.0.'s in-build library creator, with fatal consequences (to my own defense: I did not know that it is Buggy and created a nearly impossible to delete quasy-infinite Directory chain...). After this mistake had been done, I tried to evoke the IDE, I got an error message: "An error occured while starting the application." A short Research on the web persuaded me that it was a direct consequence of the infinite Folder stucture. I spent 2 hours trying to delete that Folder chain, utilizing some freewares promising to solve the Problem, all to no avail. Reading through all the S.O.S. threads about it on the web made it clear, that up till now there is no solution to this Problem (oh please, prove me wrong!!!).

Due to the fact that Arduino already made a window Pop up Advertising the new IDE Version 1.6.4, I decided it was a great opportunity to uninstall the old IDE and install the new one. I did it, the new IDE 1.6.4. opens the Arduino logo, but shortly after displaing "Starting", it simpl Closes without any further comment.

OK, I decided I Switch back to IDE 1.6.0., my good old workhorse. But sadly after reinstall, it still says the same (new IDE was uninstalled).

Now I'm left without Arduino IDE (and with a nasty, annoying Folder chain)... please help me! What did I do wrong and how can I make it work again? :'(

Uninstall IDE.

Backup your sketches, etc.

Reboot computer.

Delete the mangled folder you made - now that you've rebooted, nothing will be clinging to it so it should be no problem to delete.

Reinstall IDE.

I must say, it's incredibly frustrating the way the Arduino developers have turned on nag messages on old versions of the IDE, when the new version is still in version-of-the-week mode and crawling with bugs. Board manager changes should have been done in a branch, and not merged until it worked.

Hi DrAzzy,

Thanks for the hints, sadly I've already tried them, to no avail... The mangled Software cannot be removed, it's nested so deep the OS cannot recognise it any more, it says something about too Long path Name. I cannot even rename the Folders, because no matter what I do, some processes always seem to Access it. I've tried one Software from the net (DeepRemove), it also gives up.

Nevertheless the new Arduino installations do not know about the mangled Folder(s), so that's probably not the reason for them not working any more. But I cannot determine what is stopping it from working. IDE v1.6.0. worked before fine, now even if I reinstall I get an error. The other one v1.6.4. does not even bother to Display an error message.

Any ideas how else to remove the mangled Folders? I ran out of ideas. Although they might not be the root cause, I sleep better if they do not litter my drive.

Are you seeing a "Launch 4" error? It may be caused by a nested/recursive structure in the libraries directory in your personal storage location. The final consequence is that windows can't handle the length of the path name, resulting in the "Launch4" error.

If you can find this nested structure, try and remove it, but you may have to rename some of the folders in order to use a rmdir to remove that branch of the tree. Then re-install the IDE.

I have found using the windows installer is often the kiss of death. It's so much easier to just unzip the non-admin install folder and copy it to someplace useful. I have two versions running right now; 1.0.5, which always works, and 1.6.4 which often works, except sometimes sketches that work fine under 1.0.5 just don't run. But it does produce much more compact code. I'm guessing the compiler is optimizing the s&*t out of the code, like by leaving out stuff you actually need.

Here's a great way to kill a running version of 1.6.4. Just run 1.5.7 and compile something for a third party board. It actually kills 2 birds with one stone, because neither version will work after that. Easy fix though, just remove %APPDATA%\arduino15 and reinstall the third party boards.

Grrrr.

Hi cattledog,

Thanks for the help. How do I know it was a Launch4 error? I do not see this in the Header of the error Pop-up...

I already started renaming the recursive Folder structure, but after a few Folders renamed, Windows will tell me I cannot tamper with the Folders, because they are used by other processes... So I'm still stuck with this recursive Folder issue...

A short Research on the web persuaded me that it was a direct consequence of the infinite Folder stucture. I spent 2 hours trying to delete that Folder chain, utilizing some freewares promising to solve the Problem, all to no avail. Reading through all the S.O.S. threads about it on the web made it clear, that up till now there is no solution to this Problem (oh please, prove me wrong!!!).

Which tools have you tried which didn't work? Do you understand why they didn't do what they claimed they would do?

I have no direct experience in trying to clean up a recursive folder mess, but his batch file tool looks interesting http://www.bryantwebconsulting.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/1/19/Getting-Around-Windows-7-Destination-Path-Too-Long-Error-When-Deleting-Files

I have a problem with Windows 7 software. Whenever I try to run the arduino software, I get the message below:

Cannot run program "C:\Users\modest\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.8.1-arduino2\bin\avr-g++" (in directory "."): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem.

Thanks