Cannot upload due to error message - support steps taken please help!

Hi all,

Very frustrated and would appreciate your help. Have wasted hours on this and cannot figure it out. I had this exact problem with an Uno R3 clone I bought off Amazon but decided maybe that was the problem and bought a genuine Arduino Uno R3 off the Arduino.cc website. Same problem. The root of the issue is this error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Before anyone asks, yes I have followed all steps indicated in the troubleshooting page.

I have searched the forum as well as StackOverflow and general Google searches. Now that I know it's happening even with the brand-name Arduino board, I don't think it should be a driver issue, but could be wrong. I'm on a Mac Pro 2008 running 10.11.6. I can't upgrade to 10.12 as Sierra is not compatible with my model.

I have taken numerous support steps including trying different USB ports and cables, have tried both the web editor and the desktop IDE, have installed and uninstalled FTDI drivers (as well as the CH drivers when I was trying to troubleshoot the clone before buying this brand-name one).

I saw a post on StackOverflow that suggested hitting the RESET button at a very specific point during upload, and someone else suggested that the OP change the baud rate on avrdude but I am not sure what the proper baud rate would be if the one chosen by the web editor is not compatible.

Grateful for any helpful advice you can provide! Console output from web editor below:

arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -build-path /tmp/321683378/build -hardware arduino-builder/hardware -hardware arduino-builder/packages/cores -tools arduino-builder/tools -tools arduino-builder/packages/tools -built-in-libraries arduino-builder/latest -libraries /tmp/321683378/pinned -libraries /tmp/321683378/custom -fqbn arduino:avr:uno -build-cache /tmp -logger humantags -verbose=false -logger humantags /tmp/321683378/Blink
Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
Flashing with command:/Users/bvogts/.arduino-create/arduino/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -C/Users/bvogts/.arduino-create/arduino/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.usbmodem5D11 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/_j/1_gr8ml13tnddwd38r9yd8gr0000gn/T/arduino-create-agent170244921/Blink.hex:i
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
avrdude done. Thank you.
-P/dev/cu.usbmodem5D11

That doesn't look like any of the ports an Arduino would normally use. What OS are you running?

Sounds like port isn't set correct. Select the board, below that should be port in the Tools menu and try the active port. Then under Tools get board info to make sure you got the right one.

Delta_G: -P/dev/cu.usbmodem5D11

That doesn't look like any of the ports an Arduino would normally use. What OS are you running?

I'm on a Mac Pro 2008 running 10.11.6. I can't upgrade to 10.12 as Sierra is not compatible with my model.

wilykat: Sounds like port isn't set correct. Select the board, below that should be port in the Tools menu and try the active port. Then under Tools get board info to make sure you got the right one.

It's the only one. There isn't any other port to select and it only appears when the board is plugged in.

Can no one help with this? I'm not sure what else to try.

It’s the only one. There isn’t any other port to select and it only appears when the board is plugged in.

You will still have to select that one port in the Arduino IDE.