Cannot upload on Arduino Duemilanove

My arduino was working without issue with the Video Game Shield until I re-uploaded one of the sample games to the board. It then stopped working. Now, the following error comes up every time I try to upload anything:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I removed everything from the Arduino and tried to upload the basic Blink code, which compiles without issue, but with the same results regarding the upload.

When the Arduino is powered, led 13 blinks rapidly and consistently; even when I reset, the led immediately starts up again. Does anyone know what this means?

I am running on Windows XP professional, lenovo T400. COM6. ATmega328.

I was having the same problem the other day... then i found a thread on the forums here explaining how to fix it dont have the thread on me. But this is the process to fix it i used to fix my arduino This usually works with a large sketch. 1) unplug your arduino 2) hold the reset button down and plug it back in 3) while holding the reset button press the upload button in the Arduino IDE 4) as soon as it compiles the sketch and begins uploading release the the reset pin 5) you should see Tx and Rx leds blink if it works your sketch would have uploaded if you mistimed it then it'll give you the same error.

This usually happens when a sketch isnt uploaded properly. hope this helps

Excellent. Works. Thanks so much!

I just wanted to say thanks for that. it fixed my arduino as well.

I may have stressed the board too much, now, when i upload, the TX led blinks three times and then stops. The sketch can't upload, 'programmer is not responding'. :'(