cannot upload sketch from network on Windows machine

Hi --

I have been using my Mac to program the Arduino using sketches stored on our server (also a Mac) and so far have not had any issues. We are starting to use Windows (7 Professional) machines, but we are having issues uploading sketches. When stored on the desktop, the sketches upload fine, but when uploading server-stored files, we have this error:

Arduino: 1.8.2 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Calisa\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10802 -build-path C:\Users\Calisa\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_864530 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Calisa\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_575401 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose P:\2 Active Jobs\Blink\Blink.ino
Readdir P:\2 Active Jobs\Blink: The system cannot find the path specified.

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Readdir P:\2 Active Jobs\Blink: The system cannot find the path specified.

Thats your issue right there.

Seems like you might have some server tweaking to do.

Are you just storing the sketches or running the IDE also from the server ?

Thank you Bob –

Are you just storing the sketches or running the IDE also from the server ?

The sketches are stored on the Mac server and the Arduino is being programmed on a Windows client. The Windows machine has the P: drive mapped to a shared folder on the server. I suppose I never had to worry about it programming on a Mac client.

Is there maybe a firewall preventing the Arduino environment being able to see the P: drive during upload? Again, writing and saving the sketches are fine. The issue is only on uploading to the Arduino.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Henning.

No so familiar with a cross OS server.

Myself I'm a windows server / windows client type of person and done even use client installs per-se but join fully installed machines to the server.

Firewalls are certainly a thing to be aware of but usually not the issue.
Permissions are the biggest issues I face but easily fixed.

OK Thanks. It seems to be a limited issue as I cannot find anything else online about it. If I find a solution, I will post.

Is it possible that the compiler is ending up running as a user other than your user? Windows network folder mappings are on a per-user basis (yes, really), so if the IDE (or specifically, the compiler process) is running as some other user, it won't be able to see the network drive.

Of course, this shouldn't be the case - and clearly the main IDE process IS running as your user, since you can see and edit the sketch in that location... I was under the impression that the compiler would run as the same user as the rest of the IDE is running as.

Is this a Windows Store installation? If so, try using the normal version and see if that fixes the issue (and if it does, I would call that a bug)