Cannot upload sketch to Arduino Uno

Hello!
I bought an Arduino Uno a while back and it has been working perfect ever since. Today I was trying to update the firmware of my ESP866 with this tutorial. But it did not work for me! After that I tried using my Uno for other purposes but it seems that I cannot upload any sketches onto it ("Blink"). It gives me many error messages and after reading up on it it seems that the Uno and computer have problems communication. Worth to know is the things I've tried to solve the problem and here they follow:

(The code I've tried to upload everytime was the "Blink" sketch)

-RX and L LED blink when I try to upload
-Pressing reset just before uploading
-Reinstalling Arduino IDE
-Trying on both Windows and Mac
-Changing USB ports
-Double checking I had right board and COM port selected
-Enabling Verbose output during upload
-Uploading while NO pins were attached (especially TX and RX)

And nothing seems to work! I also been getting various errors wich I will provide bellow! I am very afraid I have burned the chip but how I would have done that I do not know! I also havent removed the Atmega328P from its socket at any time! Since I am pretty new to Arduino please explain to me carefully as I were an five-year old, also to save time, and amount of posts, if you want me do anything provide me detailed instructions on how to!

Thank you very much for your time! I am really scared I have destroyed the board :frowning:

Here are the errors:

Without verbose during upload

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

With Verbose during upload

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Why you are afraid off? It is normal process for everyne to fry something from time to time. And it is cheap to buy new or make a clone...

1. Does the last project you have uploaded still works?

2. Do you have any programmer as USBTinyISP to check if you can read it through SPI? Or even simplest ISP trough serial port - you can make it on breadboard with few transistors, resistors, zener diodes and capacitors?

3. Do you have any RS232 board and try directly to access through RX/TX and Reset pin? Be sure you connect Reset pin through 100nF capacitor.

4. Can you remove ATmega328p from board and replace it by new one? It should be trivial if it is DIP version, then you can upload bootloader by any programmer you have or ask someone to do it for you.

arduino_314:
Why you are afraid off? It is normal process for everyne to fry something from time to time. And it is cheap to buy new or make a clone...

1. Does the last project you have uploaded still works?

2. Do you have any programmer as USBTinyISP to check if you can read it through SPI? Or even simplest ISP trough serial port - you can make it on breadboard with few transistors, resistors, zener diodes and capacitors?

3. Do you have any RS232 board and try directly to access through RX/TX and Reset pin? Be sure you connect Reset pin through 100nF capacitor.

4. Can you remove ATmega328p from board and replace it by new one? It should be trivial if it is DIP version, then you can upload bootloader by any programmer you have or ask someone to do it for you.

1. No
  2. No
  3. No
  4. No

Will try to get a new one from where I bought it, hope the guarantee will work!

Hilleskog:

1. No
  2. No
  3. No
  4. No

Will try to get a new one from where I bought it, hope the guarantee will work!

I have seen your board from your other posts, it is impossible that all answers are negative...

If RX LED blink when you tried upload, it is probably not fired (at least not completely). Etc, there is many ways to test and fix if possible.

All in all, the easiest way is your choice. Good luck!

The only option that might be "Yes" is number 2. But I do not have any other boards or such.

Hilleskog:
The only option that might be "Yes" is number 2. But I do not have any other boards or such.

Does your class mate have an Arduino? If yes, you may ask him to make it as programmer and then you may try to revive your.

Or you may try the same with your new one.

arduino_314:
Does your class mate have an Arduino? If yes, you may ask him to make it as programmer and then you may try to revive your.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Or you may try the same with your new one.

Nah, I am the only one amongst my friends who does Arduino stuff. Got a new Arduino from the store (replaced the first one).

Is the guide I linked before a good and true guide on how to update an ESP8266? If not please link a better guide!

Hilleskog:
Got a new Arduino from the store (replaced the first one).

Replaced with no question asked?
Are they examine it for a few minutes at least?

Hilleskog:
Is the guide I linked before a good and true guide on how to update an ESP8266? If not please link a better guide!

I’m not aware of any as I do not use it, I cannot help you about. However that does not mean this you tried is incorrect. You maybe just connect or set something wrongly and simply sent to your device wrong fusebits, or more bootloader was overwritten…

Only few words of warning…

I simply do not want to compile and upload evenopen source sketch without previous examination. Does plain compiled and uploaded sketch can harm to your device? O yes, believe me - it can. Because of that it is a good idea to learn some of C/C++, basic micro-controller stuff and you will always have good idea what you can expect.

If you are not quite certain what harm something can do, avoid it.

Be careful with jumper wires, there is a good chance to short something you shouldn’t.

NEVER EVER connect jumper wires while it is under voltage! And double check all before power it on!

Read at least minimum datasheet/specification for your devices. That should give you basic idea what you should and what you shouldn’t do with. If you do not understand something - ask here in appropriate forum section.

arduino_314:
Replaced with no question asked?
Are they examine it for a few minutes at least?

I'm not aware of any as I do not use it, I cannot help you about. However that does not mean this you tried is incorrect. You maybe just connect or set something wrongly and simply sent to your device wrong fusebits, or more bootloader was overwritten...

Only few words of warning...

I simply do not want to compile and upload evenopen source sketch without previous examination. Does plain compiled and uploaded sketch can harm to your device? O yes, believe me - it can. Because of that it is a good idea to learn some of C/C++, basic micro-controller stuff and you will always have good idea what you can expect.

If you are not quite certain what harm something can do, avoid it.

Be careful with jumper wires, there is a good chance to short something you shouldn't.

NEVER EVER connect jumper wires while it is under voltage! And double check all before power it on!

Read at least minimum datasheet/specification for your devices. That should give you basic idea what you should and what you shouldn't do with. If you do not understand something - ask here in appropriate forum section.

No, just went to the store and said it was broken and the employe went to the back and later came back with a new one! The laws here in Sweden concerning warranty and such are pretty well established and in favour of the consumer/customer :wink:

Thanks for the tips, where can I learn basic micro-controller stuff?

There is many free available courses of "Introduction to micro-controllers", some of them even have free edition of their books.

I cannot suggest you anything particular, all should be fine for novices.