Cannot upload to Arduino Mini with Arduino USB 2 Serial Converter

I bought an Arduino Mini and also an Arduno USB 2 Serial Converter. While trying to program the Arduino Mini, I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

After doing some research I tried many things like changing the settings, serial port, made sure I'm using the right Arduino etcetera.

Some points to consider:

• I tried burning the bootloader using my Arduino Uno.
  • Uploading sketches to the Arduino Mini using my Arduino Uno works (so problem is not directly with the Mini).
  • I am pressing the Reset button before uploading. I also tried hooking a capacitor and the Reset wire directly. No change.

The wiring (I also tried connecting TX of Mini to RX of serial converter, and vise versa):

Fritzing Diagram

Well you eliminated two Arduino boards as the issue so that leaves you with probably a dead adaptor.

They are so cheap its worth having a couple around.
Also does yours have 3V / 5V switch or any other jumpers ? I have one that needs a jumper setting and another that needs the 3/5 V selection switch (depending on board).

ballscrewbob:
Well you eliminated two Arduino boards as the issue so that leaves you with probably a dead adaptor.

They are so cheap its worth having a couple around.
Also does yours have 3V / 5V switch or any other jumpers ? I have one that needs a jumper setting and another that needs the 3/5 V selection switch (depending on board).

Well, kinda sucks as it was brand new. I will return it to the shop I guess.

Update: I bought another FTDI to USB converter (not an Arduino one, but a 7 Euro one) and I can now upload.