Cannot upload to new pro mini 328

I have a Duemilanove which I can upload sketches to no problem. Now I'm trying to get these sketches onto a brand new pro mini 328.

I have a new Pro Mini Arduino 328 - 5V/16MHz with a 5V FDTI breakout.

When I try and upload a sketch, I get this error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have also tried using the Duemilanove to upload sketches to the Mini but get the same error. (Removed chip, tied reset, gnd, 5v, rx, tx to same on pro mini)

How do I rule out a bad chip vs a bad/missing bootloader etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The fdti will have a different com port than the original arduino - right? Is the board type set correctly? Do you have any way of verifying that the fdti setup is working? It's worth checking the drivers.

This may sound nuts, but…do you have breakout attached to the Arduino the right way? You’re getting the error message I got when I had it on backwards.

The breakout and the Arduino both have the outer end pins marked “GRN” and “BLK”. Obviously GRN goes to GRN and BLK goes to BLK.

Everyone, take a look at my topic about the same problem, which i started today.

Click

I have found a partial solution and it might work for you aswell...