Cannot write fuses

Hello all,

I had wanted to repurpose my Arduino Uno for another project using Atmel Studio 6 beta. However, I'm running into some problems. I was able to write the fuse bits once with my AVR ISP mkII, but now cannot change them further. No, I didn't disable the SPI fuse, and the lock bits are all set to NO_LOCK. I also can't upload any firmware. I've tried writing the fuses with AVR Studio 6, and using the Arduino IDE bootloader burner, no luck. I can read and verify the various memories, settings, fuses, and whatnot just fine.

FWIW, the fuses are stuck at: Extended: 0xFF High: 0xDF Low: 0xFF

Any idea what might be going on, and how I might unbrick my Arduino Uno?

Your fuses are ok.

It could be some hardware issue.
Perhaps a bad electrolyte capacitor, or a bad connection. Can you pull the ATmega328P out of the socket and place it back.

Krodal,

Thanks for the response.

I'll try pulling and reseating the chip tomorrow…I do have the version with the DIP package, so that's possible. Sadly, I don't have a spare chip to pop in there to verify that it's not some other bit of hardware. I can try touching up the joints on the caps just to be sure.

Don

[UPDATE] Tried reseating the chip, no love :(

Do you have an other programmer ?
If you use a cheap USBasp programmer, you need a cable from 10-pin to 6-pin.

What if you try to let Arduino to programma the bootloader again, this will also set the fuses.

But in the end, it is probably broken…

Have you tried a "chip erase"?

Have you inadvertently set lock-bit LB2?

Krodal: Do you have an other programmer ? If you use a cheap USBasp programmer, you need a cable from 10-pin to 6-pin.

What if you try to let Arduino to programma the bootloader again, this will also set the fuses.

But in the end, it is probably broken....

I don't have another programmer, but the one I have is working just great with other chips and boards I have. I have asked Arduino and avr-dude personally to try again, and it fails always on fuse verification, just like AVRStudio. I've also tried AVRStudio 4 as well.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=104084.msg781272#msg781272 date=1336031775] Have you tried a "chip erase"? Have you inadvertently set lock-bit LB2? [/quote]

I have tried "chip erase", several times. I've also double checked the lock bits, they are all three set to "unlock" according to AVR Studio.

I'm guessing I did something to fry the '328. I'll just order up a new one and go from there.

Something like that happened to me once. AFAICT, it was a dead chip.