Can't add Arduino remote to garage door central

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has encounter the issue I'm having with the garage doors and my arduino.

I have been able to detect and replicate codes that open and close my garage door.
I'm using Arduino Nano and simple cheap 433MHz rf transmitter and receiver. I have also added external antenna to the rf transmitter to expand its coverage.
Because I'm replicating my remote with Arduino, that remote quickly desyncs from my garage door central module and I need to program it again.

I thought of programming Arduino to the door central to behave as third remote which would fix my desync problem.
I found some instructions for adding a remote however my central doesn't recognize that Arduino is sending any commands. I tried to verify that I'm doing good job of syncing remotes so I have tried with my original remote and it worked.
Procedure for adding a remote is that I press one button on a central module and any button on my remote. I don't get why I can't add a Arduino because it sends exactly the same commands as my remote and I know that because I can open my doors with Arduino.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

imarin01:
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has encounter the issue I'm having with the garage doors and my arduino.

I have been able to detect and replicate codes that open and close my garage door.
I'm using Arduino Nano and simple cheap 433MHz rf transmitter and receiver. I have also added external antenna to the rf transmitter to expand its coverage.
Because I'm replicating my remote with Arduino, that remote quickly desyncs from my garage door central module and I need to program it again.

I thought of programming Arduino to the door central to behave as third remote which would fix my desync problem.
I found some instructions for adding a remote however my central doesn't recognize that Arduino is sending any commands. I tried to verify that I'm doing good job of syncing remotes so I have tried with my original remote and it worked.
Procedure for adding a remote is that I press one button on a central module and any button on my remote. I don't get why I can't add a Arduino because it sends exactly the same commands as my remote and I know that because I can open my doors with Arduino.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

The your door opener is actually working properly. You need to read up on "rolling codes" used with garage doors, automobile key fobs and any other security device. After each use a new code will be used. But when there is the possibility of several different key fobs being used, the control unit has to be able to remember the next code for each fob, and that may be several weeks old.
You have a lot more code to write!
Paul

Not to distract from the question, but would adding a relay that is controlled by the rf remote to simulate the openers fobs and wall control not work? instead of trying to mimic the openers signals, have your rf remote control a relay that provides the power to the up and down terminals on your opener motor.

Or would that still cause an out of sync issue?

One that i have seen and used (for other purposes) but still works for what you are trying to do, can be read here

Paul_KD7HB:
The your door opener is actually working properly. You need to read up on "rolling codes" used with garage doors, automobile key fobs and any other security device. After each use a new code will be used. But when there is the possibility of several different key fobs being used, the control unit has to be able to remember the next code for each fob, and that may be several weeks old.
You have a lot more code to write!
Paul

I do know about rolling codes. Thing is, my code is fairly static, only part that changes is counter which increments on every button press. So I can predict how the next code will look like, hence why I can open and close my garage doors with Arduino. That part is sorted out.

Thing, that I don't know, is why I can't add it to my garage door central. That thing you mentioned about remembering the next code for each knob is exactly what I am trying to achieve. I want the central to remember the next code for 2 of my original remotes and my additional Arduino remote. I just can't figure out why I can't add it to the motor central.

cubangt:
Not to distract from the question, but would adding a relay that is controlled by the rf remote to simulate the openers fobs and wall control not work? instead of trying to mimic the openers signals, have your rf remote control a relay that provides the power to the up and down terminals on your opener motor.

Or would that still cause an out of sync issue?

One that i have seen and used (for other purposes) but still works for what you are trying to do, can be read here
Arduino WiFi Garage Door Opener : 10 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

I doubt that will cause a desync issue, but I don't want to mess up a motor because it is still under warant. I also don't know if I have those inputs on the motor for external signal.
I chose this route of emulating a remote because I wanted to learn something about rf communication and because it allows me additional expansion such as built in remotes in my car etc and it gives me a smallest chance of messing something up if anything goes wrong.

I understand, and i think i mis-spoke on the part with the relay, no power would be sent to the unit, you would be using the relay as a "button/switch"

So the button on your wall runs 2 wires up to the unit, and connected to 2 terminals, when pressed, the contact is closed and that causes the door to go up or down, the relay would be the mechanism that simulates that action, and your rf would control that relay, so no messing with any of the original hardware or signals.
I say that because like mine, the button on my wall is like a doorbell button, simple 2 wires, no boards or codes within that button, but my car buttons and outside code panel have the rolling codes..

Just a thought.

The problem is, I don't have that button on my wall to open and close my door. I only have a button which is integrated with my motor and I would need to take a part motor housing and maybe some more to gain access to those wires. I don't really want to do that, mainly because in a case of motor failure it would be evident that someone has tampered with it.

I am, however, planning to add a button on my wall which I could easily press to open the door and it will be connected to my Arduino.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.