Can't bootload a standalone atmega1280v

Hello, I'm out of possible solutions to my problem.

I'm trying to bootload an atmega1280v on its own via an Arduino Uno R3 through the Arduino IDE. I'm not using the normal ArduinoISP file but another one with a 16MHz PWM output on D9 because the fuses are set to an external oscillator by default and I don't have one at home. I've attached the program and how I connected both devices. I also attached the error message as it's too long to put in here.

Now to my problem:

The Uno can communicate with the Atmega1280v as he is able to identify the attached MCU as an Atmega1280v but "isn't responding" anymore while trying to write the flash. I don't think there's a problem with the circuit which I've done on a breadboard, because the Uno wouldn't even recognise the MCU if that were the case (afaik). I tried to bootload my other Arduino Uno with the same program and there were no problems and the bootloading was successful.

I haven't found any similiar issue on this forum and would be really thankful if anybody has an idea what the problem is and hopefully also a solution to it.

ArduinoISP.ino (17.1 KB)

Error_message.txt (10.4 KB)

It looks like sudden problem with connection.
What if you try again? Is it able to read the signature?

BTW: D9 provides 8MHz, the half of clock frequency. It is max. freq. for 1280V powered with 5V, 16MHz would be pretty out of specification.

First of all, thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
If I try to burn the bootloader again right after the error message from my first post popped up, the following error appears:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega1280"

C:\Users\catga\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\catga\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1280 -cstk500v1 -PCOM4 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xF5:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\catga\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

I have to pull the USB cable out of my Arduino Uno and push it in again if I want the error message from my first post to appear again. I haven't changed or touched anything between the first and second bootload. Any ideas why the Uno suddenly isn't in sync anymore?

This is weird. Are you sure the ISP wires are connected correctly?
Try to re-load ISP sketch to UNO.
Only now have I noticed 10uF capacitor C? on UNO's RESET pin. You need not it since used stk500v1 does not produce the reset pulse which could cause reset of UNO.
Try to connect D10 from UNO via 100nF cap to RESET pin on 1280V. It is because sometimes the reset pulse can lasts longer than it is needed.
AREF 100nF to GND missing.
I would also use 100nF decoupling on power pins, one for each power pin.

valuable information got from the topic.
kindly go thorugh https://aessuccess.live/ for educational loans.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.