can't download 1.6.8 for windows

wanted to try arduino ide on esp8266. The "just download" button is greyed out so I made a donation hoping it would be worthwhile but now I still can not download anything. "just download" is still unavailable and I don't want to donate again without at least trying it out.

I just tried. Just Download worked fine for me.

Must be something I don't understand (I will add it to the list).
I get error "This site can't be reached downloads.arduino.cc unexpectedly closed the connection"

I was going to post a link to the IDE V1.6.5, (more stable than V1.6.8), but it only leads to the "Just Download" page too.
It works for me, by the way.

Have tried different PC and different browsers and have searched the net and disabled anti malware and security but still no joy.

OK now, downloaded from another site.

No, not OK. have downloaded arduino 1.6.8 but now I can't instal the ESP8266 board manager and can't find it anywhere else.

I would highly recommend not downloading it from another site. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen with malware crawling all over the Internet. The only thing I can imagine giving you trouble is you're behind a firewall or something like that. The direct link to the download is https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-1.6.5-r5-windows.zip
And here is what nslookup shows about the IP address

$ nslookup downloads.arduino.cc
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
downloads.arduino.cc	canonical name = downloads-03.arduino.cc.
Name:	downloads-03.arduino.cc
Address: 5.254.127.101

Thanks, but I have tried disabling firewalls on this PC. Tried the direct link you gave me but that doesn't work either. Never had any problems downloading before. I don't want to go back to LUA as I spent months programming with that and was quite pleased but never managed to get a final project built with the ESP8266 still working.

I am not talking about firewall on your PC. You may be behind a firewall at work, or one from your internet service provider. You may be able to access it through a proxy or anonymizer. The download page and website are definitely working OK.

OK, thanks - I will assume there is a firewall at my ISP. The download of 1.6.8 worked fine through a proxy server. Next problem is installing the esp8266 board manager. I have tried through the proxy but can't get anything to work. Any hints would be appreciated.

Did you add the esp via board manager ?

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

Good tutorial here.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/esp8266-thing-hookup-guide/installing-the-esp8266-arduino-addon

Yes I did follow that tutorial and use boards manager. I read up on my ISP site and went in and disabled port blocking. This made the difference that when I went into boards manager I got the list of boards that could be installed (6 boards, 1 of which was installed) but the ESP8266 was not in the list. I had listed it in preferences as per tutorial and with ports blocked I didn't show any extra boards in boards manager.

Just tried it with 1.6.8 and it works fine.

I did have a typo first time round which gave me an error in the debug/output box but once corrected it went smoothly and allowed me to select from a list of 17 ESP's

All I can think of is maybe you have had more than one IDE installed at one time and one of them conflicts ?

or you still have something blocked

Running win 7 x64 here on AMD 4x

FlashWallace:
Yes I did follow that tutorial and use boards manager. I read up on my ISP site and went in and disabled port blocking. This made the difference that when I went into boards manager I got the list of boards that could be installed (6 boards, 1 of which was installed) but the ESP8266 was not in the list. I had listed it in preferences as per tutorial and with ports blocked I didn't show any extra boards in boards manager.

I just went through the process and the ESP8266 appeared in the list in my Boards Manager. (Arduino IDE V1.6.5)

Is this now definitely in your >File >Preferences >"Additional Boards Manager URLs" list? :-
http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

I couldn't use right-click, paste, but had to copy the URL then use Ctrl-V to paste it into the "Additional Boards Manager URLs" text box, but after adding that line, the ESP8266 immediately appeared at the bottom of the list in >Tools >Board >"Boards Manager", ready to be installed. (It takes a moment for the index etc to download.)

Next, clicking on the "More Info" option in the esp8266 listing will reveal the "Install" button.
Clicking that will install the package, (takes a little time to download, it's over 150MB), then you can select your exact board from the >Tools >Board menu.

I'm hoping that maybe you might have just accidentally missed one of these steps.

I have tried used clicking on the copy button and highlighting & ctrl-V. When I had the ISP ports all unblocked I got a list of 7 boards (3 arduino, 3 inte & 1 AMEL) and an "Error downloading http//arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json" message in red at the bottom. I think whatever firewall or port that is preventing the program download is also preventing the esp download but I don't know how to get around it.

FlashWallace:
I have tried used clicking on the copy button and highlighting & ctrl-V. When I had the ISP ports all unblocked I got a list of 7 boards (3 arduino, 3 inte & 1 AMEL) and an "Error downloading http//arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json" message in red at the bottom. I think whatever firewall or port that is preventing the program download is also preventing the esp download but I don't know how to get around it.

I'm all out of ideas. I've never had to deal with that sort of problem. Related to your browser settings maybe?
Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Usually the error is caused by a typographic error or the port that it needs to communicate with on the internet is being blocked at either your ISP or computer eg. firewall. Some antivirus may also cause issues.

1. Do a full security sweep on your computer (antivirus and anti malware)
    (use online scan from such as ESET or NORTON to be sure your own AV etc is not compromised)

2. Double check you have the correct address in the additional boards box as it is sensitive to spelling
    mistakes.

3. Disable your firewalls and antivirus just for the duration of checking if it works
    (don't use the internet for anything else during this period).

If that fails then maybe do a FULL removal of your current IDE. and a clean up afterwards and do a full re-install. Clean up after uninstall including registry items is very important but don't forget to make a copy of your sketches folder to somewhere safe.

Q. Do you have any other types of IDE installed (not necessarily the ARDUINO one) ?