Cant get IDE to work - having a breakdown.

Hi I'm a beginner and trying to complete a course, but unfortunately can't even get the IDE up and running.

The splash screen loads and then its exits.

I use a mac book pro with the following: OSX Yosemite - 10.10.5 IDE 1.6.5-r5 JVM 1.8.0_65

I've tried googling, and it appears there are people with similar issues, but cant work out the fix.

I'm not very proficient with the mac as I have moved from windows (am regretting).

Starting to get frustrating and I've already spent $$$ on the kit.

Anyone know what the fix is? Is there another IDE/compiler that I can use as an alternative?

Thanks!

A bunch of people have had IDE 1.6.x problems, including IDE crashes and bizarre compile errors, when they have an old 1.5.x/1.6.x installation. Those problems seem to be caused by out-of-date executables that the new IDE saves outside the IDE installation directory. In such cases it appears that the fix is to delete or rename the old "Arduino15" directory and re-install 1.6.x.

On Mac OS X: /Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15

On Windows: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15

On Linux: /home/(username)/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)

If you are using an Uno or other "older" board, you could always try going back to 1.0.6.

You might also try running "console" (find either with Spotlight or it is in /Applications/Utilities) in the background while launching the IDE. It might catch a useful error message.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I got it working.

For future reference:

1. I had to manually uninstall Java8 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19039752/removing-java-8-jdk-from-mac

2. I had to install Java 6 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

3. I installed the latest nightly build of Arduino.

tyson22: 3. I installed the latest nightly build of Arduino.

Why? You stated you're a beginner. It isn't necessary to use the latest code which may have even more unpredictable behavior.

It would make more sense to roll back to the oldest stable version that works for you, not the most bleeding edge.

[quote author=James C4S link=msg=2462478 date=1446573973] Why? You stated you're a beginner. It isn't necessary to use the latest code which may have even more unpredictable behavior.

It would make more sense to roll back to the oldest stable version that works for you, not the most bleeding edge. [/quote]

Excellent advise, but not (far back ) enough. Try DOS 3.0 instead. ( Ill send you the floppies).