Can't get Leonardo working on Mac

Hi there. I have OS X 10.8 and a newly purchased rev 3 Leonardo. I'm running Arduino 1.0.5 and I can't for the life of me get the Leonardo board to work - its serial port doesn't appear in Arduino (or in /dev) and both the green power LED and the orange "L" LED are on solid.

I have a Duemillenove which works fine. And I know the USB port and cable I'm using for the Leo are fine as I use other peripherals with them.

Any advice at all?

Many thanks

The Leonardo guide (http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoLeonardo) says: "The first time you plug a Leonardo into a Mac, the "Keyboard Setup Assistant" will launch. There's nothing to configure with the Leonardo, so you can close this dialogue by clicking the red button in the top left of the window."

Did that happen?

No, that didn't happen.

As far as I can tell, the Mac doesn't even see that there's anything attached. Looking at the USB devices in System Info shows nothing relating to the Leo.

Sounds like something is wrong with the bootloader firmware. :(

Might be time to look into re-installing the Leonardo firmware.

So, nearly 3 months later, I've got round to trying to fix this.

I couldn't get my Duemilanove to work as an ISP with the Leonardo, so I tried avrdude on my Raspberry Pi instead. This means I can test against the Duemilanove and the Leonardo, so I know if the process should work.

So with the Duemilanove I get:

root@pi2:~/repos/avrdude/avrdude# avrdude -c linuxspi -p m328p -P /dev/spidev0.0

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

...and on the Leonardo I get:

root@pi2:~/repos/avrdude/avrdude# avrdude -c linuxspi -p m32u4 -P /dev/spidev0.0

avrdude: error: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

So it looks like a fried Leonardo. Is there anything else I can try before I bin it?

Cheers

Any final suggestions before I bin the Leo? Got too much broken electronics hanging around to keep hold of it :roll_eyes: