Can't get my Nema 17 stepper motors to function w/ adafruit motor shield

Hey guys, I’m using the code provided on the Adafruit website, provided below, just to make sure the motors work. I’ve downloaded the libraries and everything checks out when I upload it to the Arduino.

So far nothing moves.

The wiring is provided in the pictures. I’m pretty sure the motors are hooked up to the shield correctly and the power light is on but I can’t even get a hum… or an angry spark/electrical fire. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(Says my picture is too big, basically From M1-M2 black, green, space, blue, red (4 wires) same from M3-M4). I have a 12V power supply plugged into the arduino but not directly into the shield, maybe that’s the issue? The green power light is definitely on for the shield though…l

AF_Stepper motor(48, 2);

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600); // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
Serial.println(“Stepper test!”);

motor.setSpeed(10); // 10 rpm

motor.step(100, FORWARD, SINGLE);
motor.release();
delay(1000);
}

void loop() {
motor.step(100, FORWARD, SINGLE);
motor.step(100, BACKWARD, SINGLE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
motor.step(100, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, INTERLEAVE);
motor.step(100, BACKWARD, INTERLEAVE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, MICROSTEP);
motor.step(100, BACKWARD, MICROSTEP);
}

You haven't told us anything about the motors that we need to know... Current rating, winding resistance, number of wires. Most modern stepper motors are low-impedance and require current drive and will not work from a DC motor shield.

If you don't provide motor power to the motor shield it will steal current from the Arduino 5V logic rail which is not at all good.