Cant get my program to write to LCD screen (reading analog pin 0)

I have been at this for about 6 hours. I have searched here and google as well as CR4 forums. I am at a loss and the vein in my forhead is about to explode. Please help.
I have verified my wires and have uploaded a different program that worked before and had no trouble with that one. Im sure its something simple but obviously im missing it.

//Program by Gary Boyce
//Used some code from Jeremy Baum

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

int BACK_LIGHT = 13;                  // Pin 13 will control the backlight

// Connections:
// RS (LCD pin 4) to Arduino pin 12
// RW (LCD pin 5) to Arduino pin 11
// Enable (LCD pin 6) to Arduino pin 10
// LCD pin 15 to Arduino pin 13
// LCD pins d4, d5, d6, d7 to Arduino pins 5, 4, 3, 2
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2);
int sensePin = 0;

void setup()
{
      lcd.clear();        // Start with a blank screen
      lcd.begin(16, 2);
      Serial.begin(9600); //Turn on Serial Comms

}

void loop()
{
  // print the button state to a serial terminal
  Serial.println(analogRead(sensePin));
  lcd.clear(); //first clear scren
  lcd.setCursor(0, 0); //what line to print on
  lcd.println(analogRead(sensePin)); //what to print
  delay(500); //do again in 1/2 second

}

If you comment out all the stuff in loop and just send "Hello world" to the lcd at the end of the setup routine, what happens?

It prints hello world like its supposed to. :(

void loop()
{
  // print the button state to a serial terminal
  //Serial.println(analogRead(sensePin));
  lcd.clear(); //first clear scren
  lcd.setCursor(0, 0); //what line to print on
  //lcd.println(analogRead(sensePin)); //what to print
  lcd.print ("HELLO WORLD");
  delay(500); //do again in 1/2 second

}

I think you have some problems with your connections. LCD - pin 5 ( RW ) needs to go to ground. LCD - pin 15 ( backlight ) needs to go to +5 volts

Your initialisation of the LCD is not correct either : you have : LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2); which is 1 too many connections - not sure what you need with the set up you have. I believe it should be LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2);

but if you use the following it will work: The circuit: * LCD pin 1 to pin 1 to ground * LCD pin 2 to + 5 volts * LCD RS pin to digital pin 4 * LCD Enable pin to arduino digital pin 5 * LCD D4 (pin 11) to arduino digital pin 6 * LCD D5 (pin 12) to arduino digital pin 7 * LCD D6 (pin 13) to arduino digital pin 8 * LCD D7 (pin 14) to arduino digital pin 9 * LCD R/W pin to ground * 10K resistor: * ends to +5V and ground * wiper to LCD pin 3

along with: LiquidCrystal lcd(4,5,6,7,8,9);

Put the analogRead result into a variable so you can print the same thing to the serial port and the lcd. Does it make sense to be using lcd.println? I note that the Hello world that worked used lcd.print. Coincidence?

I agree, no coincidence... I changed lcd.println to lcd.print and it worked. I also went ahead and cleaned up my wiring. Thank you for your suggestions.