Can't get nRF24L01 to work: failed response, times out

I bought two nRF24L01+ off Amazon and loaded up maniacbug's GettingStarted onto an arduino uno and a clone arduino uno. I also noticed that the GettingStarted program tells me the model and it turns out I got shipped a nRF24L01 and a nRF24L01+. So only one is the + model....

I know some say these don't work with the 3.3v onboard but many say they do. I added a 100uF capacitor (even though most people say 10uF all i had was 100uF, 10uF are on their way) between the Vcc and gnd on the nRF chip but I still get "failed response, times out" from the transmitter on everything it tries to send.

I checked the uno and uno clone 3.3v output and the clone actually is closer to exactly 3.3 than the genuine arduino.

What else can I do to test these? I ordered some adapters for them which have onboard regulators but that won't help the current draw will it?

I got my nRF24s working with this Tutorial

I suggest you use the TMRh20 version of the RF24 library - it solves some problems from the ManiacBug version

The pair of programs in this link may be useful.

...R

Robin2:
I got my nRF24s working with this Tutorial

I suggest you use the TMRh20 version of the RF24 library - it solves some problems from the ManiacBug version

The pair of programs in this link may be useful.

...R

Thanks for the reply, i tried that library as well but it is giving the same exact response (failed response, timed out).

I saw that guide while looking for help but all it says it to address the power problems. I will have to buy a power supply and test it.

I have had no problem powering my nRF24s directly from the 3.3v pin on my Mega, Uno and Leonardo. However I found it was essential to have a 10µF capacitor (at least) on a breadboard 328 that I power with 2 AA cells.

Debugging a wireless system can be very frustrating. My suggestion would be to follow exactly the tutorial I linked to - and stick to one pair of programs that are proven to work. Don’t waste time and coffee chopping and changing both hardware and software.

…R