Can't get readings from HST21

I picked up a YHDC HST21 DC 200A split core hall effect current sensor, but can't find any clear info on how to properly wire it. I assumed it was similar to how the ACS712 works in terms of pushing a voltage over it's analog out port (Vout) that corresponds to the current it's detecting, but it's not doing that. As a primarily test I simply provided the sensor 15v, put a wire through the sensor and pushed current ranging from 1 to 12 amps, but when putting the DMM to the sensor's Vout and ground terminals it always reads 0.56v, no matter what the current is. Any ideas?

As a primarily test I simply provided the sensor 15v

Perhaps thereby damaging it. The sales sheet clearly indicates use of a bipolar +/- 15V power supply.

Any ideas?

Find a product manual or data sheet. I would not buy an undocumented sensor, unless I planned to destroy and discard a few in the process of figuring out how it works, and I would certainly open one up to study the PCB and mounted components.

Never buy ANYTHING that says:

Be the first to review this item

jremington:
Perhaps thereby damaging it. The sales sheet clearly indicates use of a bipolar +/- 15V power supply.
Find a product manual or data sheet. I would not buy an undocumented sensor, unless I planned to destroy and discard a few in the process of figuring out how it works, and I would certainly open one up to study the PCB and mounted components.

So how is a bipolar -/+ power supply different than a standard one?

A bipolar power supply IS a standard type of power supply, two in one with a center ground.

The sales blurb suggests that you need bipolar power supply outputs +15V, GND and -15V connected to the appropriate three terminals on the sensor. It will not work if not powered correctly.

The sensor probably has an op amp or two inside, in which case two 9V batteries might work for tests:

bipolar.png

bipolar.png

Specs say plus OR minus 15volt (strange).
Shouldn't this be Plus AND minus 15volt? (likely).
If it needs a split power supply, then it also means that the output will be positive OR negative for DC currents,
and positive AND negative for AC currents.
An Arduino A/D can only measure positive voltages, so extra circuitry is needed at the output of the sensor.
At least for AC and bi-directional DC.
Leo..

Post a picture of the connectors or terminals on the sensor, showing their markings (if any) and/or wire colors. A sensor that requires bipolar power and has one output will have at least four connectors.

Edit: It looks like there are at least three different versions of that sensor, all with different power requirements (5V single, 12V single and +/- 15V bipolar. It is anybody's guess what you actually have.

https://yhdc.en.alibaba.com/product/60228334913-221327311/HST21_5V_power_supply_200A_2_5_0_625V_split_core_hall_current_sensor.html

But maybe it is the "4V output" one described in the link below. If so, the output swings from -4 to +4V and is therefore not compatible with the Arduino analog input.

Wiring diagram:
sensor.png

sensor.png