Cant get the FTDI Basic Breakout to reset my home made Arduino

I cant get the DTR pin on my FTDI Basic Breakout to reset my home made Arduino Uno.

When I try to load a program the second time to my Uno after manually resetting the board I get the following error message:
"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

I am using an ATmega328 with Arduino Optiboot (Uno) => Part# DEV-10524

I have "Arduino Uno" selected as my "Board" and below are a list of my pin connections

FTDI Basic Breakout Pin Connections:
DTR => ATmega Pin 1 via a 100nF capacitor (Do I need this capacitor?)
RX1 => ATmega Pin 3
TX0 => ATmega Pin 2
3V3 => Not in use
CTS => Not in use
GND => Ground

ATmega328 Pin Connections:
Pin 1 (Reset) => DTR pin of the FTDI Basic Breakout via a 100nF capacitor
Pin 2 (RX) => TX0 pin of the FTDI
Pin 3 (TX) => RX1 of the FTDI
Pins 4-6 => Not in use
Pin 7 (VCC) => +5V and Pin 8 via a 100nF capacitor
Pin 8 (GND) => Ground and Pin 7 via a 100nF capacitor
Pin 9 (XTAL1) => Right hand pin of a 16 MHz ceramic resonator (Ceramic Resonator 16MHz - COM-09420 - SparkFun Electronics)
Pin 10 (XTAL2) => Left hand pin of a 16 MHz ceramic resonator
Note: The center pin of the ceramic resonator is connected to ground (What do the different pins on the resonator do?)
Pins 11-14 => Not in use
Pin 15 (PWM) => Connected to an LED which goes to an 330 Ohm resistor which is then connected to ground.
Pin 16-18 => Not in use
Pin 19 (AVCC) => +5V (What does this pin do?)
Pin 20 => Not in use
Pin 21 (AREF) => +5V (What does this pin do?)
Pin 22 (GND) => Ground
Pins 23-28 => Not in use

Thank you for giving me a hand!!!

HBTU9992:
DTR => ATmega Pin 1 via a 100nF capacitor (Do I need this capacitor?)

Yes. That capacitor in combination of the 10Kohm pull-up resistor is what makes the auto-reset work.

When DTR is asserted, RESET drops to a LOW. The time it takes for the capacitor to charge and bring RESET back to a HIGH is the time it takes for the ATmega328 to reset.

This connection is different from how the decoupling capacitors in VCC are connected.

I added a connection between Pin 1 and +5V with a 10kohm resister and now the reset works. Thanks!!!