Can't get this to work...

Hello this is my first post and I will admit, I am a newbie.

I bought this LED 4 Bit Tube Module off eBay to display a clock/countdown. I have it hooked up to my Arduino Uno R3 through 4 of the 5 connections on the LED Display. They are connected to the following...

GND = Ground DIO = 2 RCLK = Nothing SCLK = 3 VCC = 5V

Then, I have the following code currently being uploaded to the Arduino (with the right packages/libraries)...

#include "TM1637.h" // link library
#define CLK 2 // By Pina connect CLK
#define DIO 3 // By Pina connect DIO

TM1637 disp (CLK, DIO);

void setup () // perform procedures 1 times
{
 // Set the brightness from 0 to 7
 disp.set (5);
 disp.init (D4056A);
}

void loop () // repeat in an endless loop
{
 disp.display (-2.45); // Output value
 delay (1000); // Pause 1 sec
 disp.display (12.34); // Output value
 delay (1000); // Pause 1 sec
}

Now, the problem is, I am not getting either of the numbers I want to display on the LED Module. I am completely fresh to this, my first ever use of the Arduino.

Would someone be able to lead me in the right direction of what I need to do to get this simple code working to show those numbers? And from that how I would go about making a countdown for the LED or even displaying the clock on there.

Thanks in advance, your help will be greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

Not enough information for me to understand. There are a lot of led tube displays on eBay; which exact one did you get?

Can you post a picture of your wiring?

In your description; you say:

"DIO = 2"

Then in your code you say: "#define DIO 3 // By Pina connect DIO"

Maybe the wires are reversed?

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I got the numbers messed up in the original post. They were in fact in the right positions. I have attached two photos. One which is a photo of what happens when the code is uploaded to the Arduino and the other of the connections on the LED Module.

If there is anything else you would like, please let me know and I will get it back to you. Eager to sort this problem out.

Thanks, Ryan

Link to eBay Module: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191623251331?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

|375x500|375x500

While you are at it, go and read the instructions, then go back and modify your first post to mark up the code as such so we can examine it comfortably and reliably.

Paul__B: While you are at it, go and read the instructions, then go back and modify your first post to mark up the code as such so we can examine it comfortably and reliably.

Yes, boss. Code has been edited. Does the link of my Arduino matter? Would people like to see which one I have?

Sounds like something I could use, once it gets working.

Are these two lines not in reverse

disp.set (5);
 disp.init (D4056A);

I see no indications that that device you bought is D4056A compatible.

Scroll through this thread; look for replies from Crossroads... http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=129768.0

The one I use is from Adafruit, they provide examples, libraries, support, etc. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1002 It's not a clock though...

I think I have the same unit. I got it to work a while back with a lot of help. This thread should help u get started. It has various application examples. I believe one of the code examples is a countdown Note : Connections are defined in the sketch.

Be sure and update your results.

gezro: Does the link of my Arduino matter? Would people like to see which one I have?

Full marks for the photos - they seem to show it quite adequately. :grinning:

Looks like you need to splurge on a few more ribbon cables to break up, including a male-to-female one, and get some of the multi-way "Dupont" housings, two, three, four, five and six-way so that you can swap the housings over and make up leads for specific purposes that can be connected and disconnected easily. I have bought a hundred pack of each housing - should be less than $2 a time if not just $1 - and with care, the single-pin housings can be removed intact for later use.