Can't get TimeLib.h to compile on IDE 1.0.6

Sample code using TimeLib.h converts epoch number to date/time ok if compiled on IDE 1.8.9 for UNO

#include <TimeLib.h>

const unsigned long epoch = 1568729333UL;      //1568729333 = 17-09-2019 14:08:53
char date_time[20];

void setup() {          
  Serial.begin(9600);
  //Convert the epoch number to date and time numbers and display
  sprintf (date_time,"%02d-%02d-%04d %02d:%02d:%02d", day(epoch), month(epoch), year(epoch), hour(epoch), minute(epoch), second(epoch));
  Serial.println(date_time);
}

void loop() {
}

Attempts to compile on IDE 1.0.6 produce the following errors
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Time\DateStrings.cpp: In function 'char* monthStr(uint8_t)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Time\DateStrings.cpp:72: error: 'pgm_read_ptr' was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Time\DateStrings.cpp: In function 'char* dayStr(uint8_t)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Time\DateStrings.cpp:86: error: 'pgm_read_ptr' was not declared in this scope

Is there a copy of the TimeLib.h libraries that will work with 1.0.6?

Alternativly is there an ICMPPing library that works with IDE 1.8.9 on the w5100?
I currently need to use IDE 1.0.6 because I couldn't find an ICMPPing library that will compile on 1.8.9

Any thoughts appreciated

I currently need to use IDE 1.0.6 because I couldn't find an ICMPPing library that will compile on 1.8.9

It compiles without a problem if you install a 1.x.x version of the Ethernet library. You can do that in the library manager, just select version 1.1.2 (the latest 1.x.x version available at the moment). The ICMPPing library uses an old interface to the W5100 chip which isn't available in the Ethernet library from version 2 upwards.

Using IDE 1.0.6 is a bad idea, there are several bugs in that version that got fixed in the meantime.

Why are you wanting to use 1.0.6? That's the last version anyone should use for anything. It was buggy.

Why are you wanting to use 1.0.6? That's the last version anyone should use for anything. It was buggy.

it took me a vary long time to find instructions that worked for installing a more recent compiler on Raspbian and Ubuntu. Instructions everywhere, and they always skip one step. you have to find them all, read them all, compare them, determine the missing steps, perform them in the right order...

the first step is to delete the compiler you have that works, somewhat. a brave move if you only have one computer

Thanks heaps pylon for pointing me in the correct direction

Here are the steps I needed to get my ping test to compile without errors on 1.8.9

-delete arduino-1.8.9\libraries\Ethernet
-manage libraries - choose ethernet and choose 1.1.2
-get latest development version (Arduino-Ping-master.zip) from Arduino Playground - ICMP Ping Library

The latest Ping version has its own util.h, which it needs

the first step is to delete the compiler you have that works, somewhat. a brave move if you only have one computer

Why? Ubuntu and Raspian use a package management that makes it easy to de-install a package and install it later again if need arise. I don't think you have to be brave to do that.