Can't include .hh ?

Using 1.6.11. I have a tiny sketch. I click on New Tab and give it the name, "happydog.hh". I then change the sketch to

#include "happydog.hh"

I get the error, "no such file: happydog.hh"

If instead I rename it "happydog.h" or "happydog.hpp", it works.

Is there some way that I can re-configure the Arduino IDE to add .hh to its list of recognized files?

Is there some way that I can re-configure the Arduino IDE to add .hh to its list of recognized files?

Why on earth would you want to do that? There is absolutely no point I can see in doing this.
Why do you want to do this?

keraba:
Using 1.6.11. I have a tiny sketch. I click on New Tab and give it the name, "happydog.hh". I then change the sketch to

#include "happydog.hh"

I get the error, "no such file: happydog.hh"

If instead I rename it "happydog.h" or "happydog.hpp", it works.

Unfortunately no. In fact, you've gotten it to recognize even more than I have, I can't even get it to recognize a hpp file.

Though I do not agree with this and I feel as if this needs to change within the Arduino IDE, the IDE only recognizes cpp and h files for C++ code. So hpp file, hh files, and other formats are not supported.

keraba:

.hh sketch file support was supposedly added in This adds 'hh' and 'hpp' as valid sketch files. by Chris--A · Pull Request #3485 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub. However I also find that it doesn't work, whether with Arduino IDE 1.6.6(the first release after that PR was merged) or using the latest build. I have submitted an issue report regarding this:
Can't include .hh sketch tab · Issue #5442 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub

If you really did want to try to modify the IDE then pull request #3485 might be a guide but things have changed since that time and the file SketchData.java no longer exists but I'm sure the relevant code is still in a similar location. Since #3485 was quickly merged by the Arduino developer I'd guess that if you submitted a pull request with a fix they would be receptive to it as clearly there was an official intention for the IDE to support .hh files in this way.

AudioGoose45:
I can't even get it to recognize a hpp file.

.hpp sketch file support was added in Arduino IDE 1.6.6 so you will need to use that version or newer. Strangely, including .hpp sketch files/tabs works fine for me.

.hh and .hpp library file support was added in Arduino IDE 1.6.5 but I find that with any newer IDE version I can only include these files if I've previously included a .h file from that library(even though that is not required with Arduino IDE 1.6.5-r5). I've also submitted an issue report for this: .hh and .hpp files in libraries can only be included after a .h file from that library · Issue #5441 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub