can't launch java application

Hi I have been using Arduino 12 with no problem but when I just upgraded to Arduino 15 it says "can't launch java application.

Does anyone know what to do to fix this? Thanks

here is a screenshot of the message I get

OK I have another problem too. I am by no means an Arduino noob, and I recently got another Arduino Duemillanove, (I have two others I am using in an art installation). When I try to upload (for example Firmata) to my new, 3rd, just out of the box Duemillanove, I get this message.

PLEASE HELP!

oh yeah I tried all the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing worked

If you search the forums for the Java error message you should find some threads discussing possible solutions.

--Phil.

uhhh thanks I guess…

Check the troubleshooting guide: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc8

thanks but if you look at one of my earlier posts above, I tried everything on the troubleshooting. None of the options on the troubleshooting page correspond to this error message anyway. Can someone please tell me what to do to fix this problem instead of just sending me to look places I have already looked & tried? If this is a real problem with many people, as it seems to be, perhaps the admins of this board should sticky a simple step-by-step fix for the problem.

Check the troubleshooting guide: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc8

mellis, I think the most recent rash of occurrences of this error on OS X is due to the Arduino application being compiled as 64-bit and the library not:

$ file arduino-0013/Arduino\ 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib.orig 
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib.orig: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib.orig (for architecture i386):      Mach-O bundle i386
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib.orig (for architecture ppc):      Mach-O bundle ppc

$ file ~/MyApplications/arduino-0013/Arduino\ 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture x86_64):      Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture i386):      Mach-O bundle i386
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture ppc7400):      Mach-O bundle ppc
arduino-0013/Arduino 13.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture ppc64):      Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64

If you look in the Activity monitor (not sure how to check any other way) then you will see that Arduino 13 is listed as 64-bit but Arduino 12 is not.

Ahhh.... So, I just found out you can see a difference between version 12 and 13 if you "Get Info" them in the Finder:

Arduino 13.app has an option for "Open in 32 Bit Mode" when viewed with Get Info from the Finder, if you select it then you will no longer receive this error.

I'm assuming this means that something changed (perhaps in the default XCode configuration?) in the way Arduino was compiled so it became 64-bit rather than 32-bit. (A while back I looked to see if I could see a change in the XCode project file in the repository that might indicate something but didn't notice anything.) I don't know why some (later?) versions of 10.5 don't have the same problem.

My fix suggestion would be to either re-compile the library so it's 64-bit enabled as well or change the application configuration so it is compiled as a 32-bit application.

--Phil.

uhhh thanks I guess...

If you search the forums for the Java error message "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError" you should find some threads discussing possible solutions.

But never mind, because your problem will probably be fixed by this:

Arduino 13.app has an option for "Open in 32 Bit Mode" when viewed with Get Info from the Finder, if you select it then you will no longer receive this error.

As a side note, the more detail you provide the better and more useful answers you'll get. While it was good you supplied screenshots of your error messages the fact you describe two different errors in one thread has confused the answers.

mellis' link above links to the exact error message in the troubleshooting guide that is in your first screen shot. If you say something like "I tried all the troubleshooting suggestions" but don't say which specific suggestions you are referring to e.g. "...on this page: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting" then you are liable to get answers like you did.

I sometimes debate whether giving no answer is better than giving a short answer. Perhaps I chose wrong on this occasion. But when people take the time to provide you an answer I personally think it's worth taking the time to be polite and patient in response.

Now, hopefully this will have fixed your issue and we can both go back to playing with our Arduinos. :-)

--Phil.

Edit: Updated with an image of the dialog box.

Thank you for the substantial and useful replies. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude but sometimes the seeming obscurantism and esotericism of these kind of communities is a little frustrating for someone like me with extremely limited time.

Thanks Phil!!!

My friend here at the Lab could not get Arduino 13 to work, unfortunately he had removed all his executibles java files first before I managed to find your post!!! Thanks Thanks Thanks, you rock.

Benny