Cant load boot loader but can upload sketches via ASP???

Hello,

If I am able to upload sketches using a USBASP but I cannot flash a boot loader (talking Nano here) .... is there some way to "reset" the chip so that I can upload a boot loader?

How do I know that I cannot upload a boot loader? Because when I use another nano with the ArduinoISP sketch on it, and connect the pins properly, I CAN flash boot loaders onto other nanos and UNOs, but I have a hand full of nanos that wont take a boot loader.

This is what I get trying to flash boot loaders onto the nanos that wont take a boot loader:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/michael/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/michael/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.wchusbserial14110
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.08s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega) (retrying)

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.08s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xfffeff
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

Is there some way I can fix this?

Why are you using the USBasp sometimes and the Arduino as ISP other times? Do you get the same failure if you try to burn the bootloader using the USBasp?

pert:
Why are you using the USBasp sometimes and the Arduino as ISP other times? Do you get the same failure if you try to burn the bootloader using the USBasp?

Well ... my USBASP programmer stopped working and I can't find my backup, so I was going to make one with the only UNO that I have, but as it turned out, all of my ATMEGA328P-U chips wouldn't accept any sketches over USB using the UNO board ... and all of my NANOs won't accept sketches over USB either ... SO, I ordered 5 more NANOs and then used one as a programmer and I flashed a boot loader into one of my ATMEGA328P-U chips then all of a sudden, the UNO can be programmed over USB like normal ... so I thought to myself ... maybe the problem with my NANOs that don't work is that they need a boot loader ... so I started trying to flash them with a boot loader, and some will take it and some won't. But, the first one I tried that wouldn't take a boot loader, does register the USB port on my Macbook Pro ... so that is what ultimately caused me to create this post ... thinking maybe there is some way to "RESET" the chip ... so that it will take a boot loader...

It's a long shot - I know - because I've never heard of any other "root level" mode for these chips beyond flashing a boot loader ... but I thought I'd put it out there hoping someone smarter than me might have an answer for me.

And there you have it ... the full story behind this post.

:relaxed:

Mike

Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some factor involved I didn't understand. Unfortunately, I still didn't get an "ah-ha" moment even after having the addional information, so I don't have any ideas for you. Maybe it will help someone else here to come up with a solution for you though.

EasyGoing1:
the first one I tried that wouldn't take a boot loader, does register the USB port on my Macbook Pro

The port is created by the USB to TTL serial chip on the Nano (FT232 on the official Nano and clones, CH340 on the derivatives), so this only tells you that chip is working. It doesn't tell you anything about the condition of the ATmega328P on the Nano.

Just to be sure I understand, can you upload sketches to the Nanos that won't take the bootloader via Sketch > Upload Using Programmer using the Arduino as ISP?

Great People love to play minecraft pe apk and me also love this app and instagram++ is also one of the best app. and you can also watch wwe matches here royal rumble 2020