Can't modify post immediately after creating it

I made a post and then wanted to add something; this is easily achieved on most Internet forums I’ve used. However on the Arduino forum I get the error “You have exceeded the number of posts you can make in a 5 minutes period. Please try again later.” I think that a post modification is not the same as making a new post and should be exempted from this limit.

This is a "feature" designed to reduce the amount of Spam - and apparently it is very effective.

It goes away after IIRC 100 posts.

There are many other Threads here about it.

...R

Your name doesn't really help.
It guarantees you will be under scrutiny when creating posts, if some person was actually doing this.
Or when creating new posts and then change them into something called spam.
And that's the exact reason why this mechanism is in place.
It does happen, and this forum software fights back.

MAS3:
It guarantees you will be under scrutiny when creating posts, if some person was actually doing this.
Or when creating new posts and then change them into something called spam.
And that's the exact reason why this mechanism is in place.
It does happen, and this forum software fights back.

...because it's totally reasonable to think that I came to an electronics forum to sell potatoes. You're the first person to complain about my username in over a decade.

You seem to be unable to differentiate between the concepts of creating a new post and editing an existing post. This "feature" doesn't stop people posting spam. Do you think spammers post something innocuous and then remember why they came and change their post to spam? This measure solves nothing; even if they did do that, they only have to wait five minutes and then they can spam anyway. Applying this measure to edits as well as new post creation does nothing to stop spam.

I’m not complaining about anything in this thread.
But i’m sure you haven’t seen any spam on these forums recently.
Because it does happen, and sometimes spammers do use a product name or a company name to register (if any of those names do really exist).
Spammers aren’t picky on what’s discussed on a forum, they are interested in crowds visiting those forums.
The contents of the message doesn’t need to be legible, just the links need to be clickable and tempting.

So you created a new post, and then got this remark while trying to edit another post you made before ?

One can create a post that doesn’t contain any signs of spam or other unwanted contents, just to test they are able to do so.
If successful, one might try to change that post (which now exists) to anything that poster wants.
A spammer isn’t going to wait 5 minutes between attempts.

MAS3:
It guarantees you will be under scrutiny when creating posts,

I had no idea the anti-spam sofware on this Forum was that sophisticated. And to be honest, from some of the spam stuff I have had to report to the Moderator I don't believe it has any intelligence.

@seanspotatobusiness, don't worry about your user name

...R