can't program atmega328p-au

I bought a couple of atmega328p-au chips, which I have been trying to bootload and upload to. I've been able to burn the bootloader to these chips, but it's been almost impossible to program them. These are my connections for the programmer:
arduino uno tx -- atmega328p tx
arduino uno rx -- atmega328p rx
arduino uno reset -- atmega328p reset
atmega328p reset -- 1k resistor -- vcc
and then the ground and vcc pins of the atmega 328p were connected to gnd and vcc on the arduino. there is also a 16 mhz external clock attatched to this chip.

the atmega328p of the programming arduino has also been taken out.

I've tried two bootloaders, the minicore atmega 328 bootloader and the arduino nano 328 bootloader. I've also tried adding a 100nf capacitor between the programming board's reset and the atmega328p-au's reset

This is the error I get when I try to upload:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/raybechard/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20

avrdude done.  Thank you.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Nathaniel_:
atmega328p reset -- 1k resistor -- vcc

This should be a 10k resistor. It's possible the too strong pull-up resistor could interfere with the auto-reset circuit.

What happens if you manually reset the ATmega328P just as the avrdude command starts?

You might try Tx-Rx and Rx -Tx

You're almost there.
arduino uno tx -- atmega328p tx
arduino uno rx -- atmega328p rx
arduino uno reset -- atmega328p reset
and then the ground and vcc pins of the atmega328p were connected to gnd and vcc on the arduino

Good. Notice I took out your line about the pull up on reset.

Do not use a pull up resistor on the reset pin. The pull up is on the Uno board, since you're using an Uno board with a vacant MCU socket for your USB to serial board.

Make sure the board where you have mounted your ATmega328P has 100nF decoupling capacitors across the VCC and GND traces on both sides of the MCU, as close as practical to the MCU. If you're not familiar with decoupling capacitors and their importance, you will probably have no problem googling it to learn more or search in this forum about it.

Make sure you have connected all of the VCC and GND pins on the MCU, don't leave some unconnected.

And here's another tidbit. Connect a resistor with LED to the ATmega328P's "Arudino pin 13" which is pin 17 of the chip if you are using a 32 pin MCU. Observe its behavior during reset, and during upload. Does it flash at beginning of upload like your Uno does (when you're not using it as a serial adapter)?

I recommend getting an FTDI Basic so you have a USB to serial adapter without needing to use your Uno for that.