Can't program the Mega 2560

ok, so I bought a new Arduino Mega 2560 and I can't get the thing to program. I'm using IDE 0021 on win7 64. Aside from a timer issue on the board, I didn't have any problems getting my older Mega to program.

When I plugged the 2560 into my USB port the LED on port 13 started blinking continuously without stopping before I even loaded a sketch onto it. When I try to load the sketch I get the following error:

Quote: Binary sketch size: 1960 bytes (of a 258048 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc8 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x01 avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode

What does it mean when the LED flashes continuously?

I've tried changing the com ports, but com3 is the only one that shows up. I've double checked and board is set to the Mega 2560

Any ideas or should I return this thing while I still can? Thanks

I just had this problem. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17769

Reinstall the Mega 2560 drivers by following these instructions.

Thanks, your link helped. I didn't have to do anything with the COM ports, but when I went to device manager, the USB drivers for my arduino weren't installed, so under "network adapters" I right clicked on arduino and then "update drivers" and browsed for the arduino0021 folder. The windows 7 software found the correct drivers and I had to click on install anyway even though win7 didn't trust the drivers or something. Anyway it works now, so that's great and I don't have to return the board, thanks! Hope this helps others running windows