Can't read digital value from sensor

Hello everyone

I picked up electronics as a hobby and is still fairly inexperienced with the subject matter.
I've been trying to figure out how to transfer signals from the MQ2 gas sensor to my arduino uno.
The sensor, has one digital output pin, use the power supply from the testboard, not from the UNO through 5v pin, and the digital output of the sensor is connected to pin 8 of the UNO. I expected it to return 1 when there's no smoke and 0 when there is.
When i ran this code, i received random 0 and 1 value:

void setup() {
  pinMode(8, INPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.print("Detected=");
  Serial.println(digitalRead(8));
  delay(100);
}

I am 100% sure the sensor was working fine, it worked before when i plugged it in the UNO power supply, yet now the input fluctuate even when there's no smoke. I went looking online and found something about floating pins and pullup so i add it in the code.

void setup() {
  pinMode(8, INPUT_PULLUP);
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.print("Detected=");
  Serial.println(digitalRead(8));
  delay(100);
}

Now the returned result is always HIGH regardless of sensor output. Maybe i'm missing something and there are other methods of pullup using resistor but i don't have any availble so i couldn't try that out. Can anyone explain why when the sensor VCC and GND pins are connected to the 5V and GND of the UNO board, it worked without pullup and why it doesn't work now?

Do you have a common ground? The Arduino GND needs to be connected to the GND of the sensor.

@demybug123 - moved from Installations and Troubleshooting

The sensor needs to be "burned in" for 24 to 72 hours before analog output readings will stabilize, and the readings are meaningless until the sensor is calibrated.

Post a link to the exact module you have.

Well, we really have no idea what "the power supply from the testboard" means. :roll_eyes:

A good start would be to take the setup out into bright daylight - but not full sun - and take one or more clear, perfectly focused photographs of it with at least 4 Megapixels resolution, and attach them to a post so we can figure out exactly what you are doing and what might be wrong. This might be quicker than attempting to put in words what you have there.

Given of course, that you have the ground of the "testboard" power supply connected to the Arduino ground,

Is there any reason you cant use the wiring, configuration and code from this tutorial?

https://lastminuteengineers.com/mq2-gas-senser-arduino-tutorial/