Can't see a port for Arduino Ethernet on Mac

I recently bought an Arduino ethernet and a FTDI cable, but have until today been unsuccessful getting it to work - the symptom is that the Mac doesn't seem to see the usb device so I can't select an appropriate serial port. I downloaded the 1.0 IDE today in the hope that that might help, but no luck.

All my arduino development is usually done on the Mac, but I have windows machines, so I loaded the same IDE on one of them to test it. After a bit of trouble with the driver install, I got it working, so I assume that the Arduino and the cable are good. What can I do on the Mac to troubleshoot further?

Have you installed the latest version of the FTDI drivers?

What shows up in System Profilier when the FTDI cable is plugged in?

Latest drivers, no. This is a Mac we’re talking about - I don’t need no stinkin’ drivers :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a system profiler? Shows how much I know about OS X. It shows up thusly:

USB <-> Serial Cable:

Product ID:	0x6001
  Vendor ID:	0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
  Version:	 6.00
  Serial Number:	AFUC8K15
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	FTDI
  Location ID:	0x06400000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	500

In all seriousness, in the couple of years I’ve had this machine, I’ve never had to update or add drivers manually. Up to today, it’s always been a case of it just works - this is spoiling the illusion.

In all seriousness, in the couple of years I've had this machine, I've never had to update or add drivers manually. Up to today, it's always been a case of it just works - this is spoiling the illusion.

Okay well, you need to install the FTDI drivers. Either directly from FTDI's site or they are included on the Arduino disc image.