can't see ethernet shield

hello,

I am very new to the world of Arduino so I decided to try some tutorials. The problem is that even the most simple tutorial doesn't seem to work for me. I tried the DchpAdressPrinter sketch in examples. But when I opened the serial monitor it didn't gave me the IP, after that I tried this tutorial: http://www.homebrew-tech.com/arduino/brewing-arduino-announcement/arduinor3testingethernetshieldr3

I uploaded the sketch and when I open the serial monitor it says the server is at 192.168.1.35 like I configured. But I can't ping to the address or connect to it with the browser. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong (typical beginner mistakes) or does anyone have ideas/tips?

Kind regards, Jos Coeckelbergs

What is the ethernet cable connected to? A router/switch/hub, or directly to your PC?

dxw00d: What is the ethernet cable connected to? A router/switch/hub, or directly to your PC?

It's connected to a switch in school.

Are the other computers on the school localnet assigned a 192.168.1.x ip? Maybe that is not the correct subnet? Many routers use the 192.168.0.x subnet.

edit: Do you have a microSD card in the shield's slot? That will interrupt a dhcp request.