Can't update Nano now it's soldered into circuit - sync error

I successfully programmed my Nano compatible DFRobot DFRduino Nano v3.1 by using the ‘Old Bootloader’ method.

I put the board into my circuit and now I get the dreaded ‘avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00’ error. I’ve tried resetting, using arduino on different OSs, different cables, etc.

I have pin RX0 going to 5v via a 500R resistor. Could this affect uploads to the board? I could try desoldering the resistor. That will be a lot more straightforwards than removing the whole Nano board.

DON’T use pins 0 and 1 if you need Serial commuication, including uploading new code. You could try removing the resistor, just 1 end would be fine.

Hallelujah, it worked.
How do people get round this? Build a NC switch into the connection to pins 0 and 1? It’s very limiting not being able to reprogram when it’s all hooked up.

It’s called “planning ahead”. That is how we learn!
Paul

If you were to think about it for a second or two, it might dawn on you that not all applications call for fixed embedded code.
Also I did considerable planning when designing my circuit and PCB and getting it manufactured. But thanks for the ‘helpful’ comment!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.