Can't upload sketches to breadboard Arduino?

Hello,

I've made a breadboard Arduino and I used a CP2102 USB UART module to upload sketches. For the first time when I tried to upload the Blink sketch it worked fine, but when I tried to upload a different sketch I got the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x53
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I don't know what I did wrong but I think the wiring is correct since the first sketch uploaded sucessfully. When I plug in the Arduino the Blink sketch runs normally, so I guess the bootloader is still here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The fact that the blink sketch runs cannot be used to tell whether or not your bootloader is still intact. Have a look at the led connected to pin 13 when the board is just being powered/reset. If the led blinks 3 times rapidly then that would signify that the bootloader is in place and running.

On to solve your problem though.... I would recommend you attempt to manually reset the board while uploading. If the upload works then, you would have to review your auto-reset circuit.

Hi! I've tried manual reset and to modify the circuits but to no avail :(

It turns out the problem was with the bootloader (like you said, it didn't blink 3 times rapidly). After I re-flashed the chip it works like a charm! Thanks a lot!