Can't Upload to Arduino Nano

I am trying to build a headtracker using an arduino nano as described here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

I’ve been trying all day and have not been able to get the project to upload to the nano. The error I keep getting is posted below. I am using a brand new arduino board for this and my computer is a pc running windows 7 64-bit. I’ve gone through everything in the troubleshooting guide and I’m still having the same problem. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Nano, ATmega328”

Sketch uses 21,564 bytes (70%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 1,389 bytes (67%) of dynamic memory, leaving 659 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\SILVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\buildde23578d26e5214ba3ed7fb1ce104cf0.tmp/DIY_headtracker.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf”

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa2

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
enabled in File > Preferences.

Can you upload the basic "blink LED" script ?
Have you never been able to upload any scripts?
Is this nano the real thing, or a knock off from China?

No I just tried uploading a blink LED script and got the same error.

Have you never been able to upload any scripts?

I have not been able to succesfully upload anything to it. It's a brand new unit. Just opened it today.

Is this nano the real thing, or a knock off from China?

I'm not sure. It was ordered by a co-worker of mine for a project we're working on. I don't know where he got it. Is there an easy way to check by looking it the unit. Sorry I'm a little bit new to this stuff.

If it is a Chinese one:

Driver-Tutorial:

If there is a Chip on it "CH340", it is a Chinese.

Stefan

1 Like

I've been having this problem with brand new Chinese Nano's , and after installing the CH340 drivers it still didn't work.

The next step is to go to Tools>Processor "ATMega328P" and set the next property to ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)

Magic!

1 Like

sobellinni:
I've been having this problem with brand new Chinese Nano's , and after installing the CH340 drivers it still didn't work.

The next step is to go to Tools>Processor "ATMega328P" and set the next property to ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)

Magic!

That 'old boot loader' option did not exist in 2015 :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello, where making drone but we cant upload the codes for our transmitter and receiver to nano, i've troubleshoot it already still can't figure out the problem and i'll ask some help to our proffessor but still not working. so i tried here thank you in advance if someone can help me here.

Here is the error im getting. Thank you.

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
C:\Users\jobelle\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master\RF24.cpp:559:17: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

printf_P(PSTR("Data Rate\t = "PRIPSTR"\r\n"),pgm_read_word(&rf24_datarate_e_str_P[getDataRate()]));

^

C:\Users\jobelle\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master\RF24.cpp:560:17: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

printf_P(PSTR("Model\t\t = "PRIPSTR"\r\n"),pgm_read_word(&rf24_model_e_str_P[isPVariant()]));

^

C:\Users\jobelle\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master\RF24.cpp:561:17: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

printf_P(PSTR("CRC Length\t = "PRIPSTR"\r\n"),pgm_read_word(&rf24_crclength_e_str_P[getCRCLength()]));

^

C:\Users\jobelle\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24-master\RF24.cpp:562:17: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]

printf_P(PSTR("PA Power\t = "PRIPSTR"\r\n"), pgm_read_word(&rf24_pa_dbm_e_str_P[getPALevel()]));

^

Sketch uses 2632 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 34 bytes (1%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2014 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xef

janelleskie:
hello, where making drone but we cant upload the codes for our transmitter and receiver to nano, i've troubleshoot it already still can't figure out the problem and i'll ask some help to our proffessor but still not working. so i tried here thank you in advance if someone can help me here.

It would have been better if you had started your own thread so we did not have to wade through old posts.

Did you manage to upload in the past when you just got the Nanos nd nothing was connected?
Is anything connected to pins 0 and 1? If so, disconnect that when trying to upload.

yes we successfully uploaded the codes before, but when we tried to upload again when we updated the libraries we can't upload codes even if there is nothing connected to the board.

Setting Processor in Tools to Atmega328P(Old Bootloader) has worked for me.

Go to Tools tab in the Arduino IDE and change Processor;

Tools>Processor:"Atmega328P(Old Bootloader)" instead of Tools>Processor:"Atmega328P"

When I face uploading problem with NANO (a while ago, I was able to upload the same sketch), I carry out these steps:

1. I am sure that IDE 1.8.9 is installed.
2. Close all IDEs.
3. Start a new IDE from Arduino Application.
4. Update driver from the Device Manager.
5. In the IDE, select the processor to "Atmega328P(Old Bootloader)".
6. In the IDE, select NANO board and Port that agrees with Device Manager.
7. Upload the Blink program from the IDE Examples (preliminary training to NANO).
8. Upload my target sketch.

It's a cumbersome process; but, there is no alternative. Even, sometimes we have to restart the PC and even shutdown the PC to make the NANO working.