Can't upload to board

I've got a standard arduino with the atmega328 chip. I tried to upload a sketch and I get the following:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

any ideas?

I've tried both COM1 and COM3, I've tried reburning the bootloader, all gives the same result

Try pressing the reset button just before you upload. If you do not have /RTS confgured properly you will not get an automatic reset.

Are you sure that the USB port is COM1 or COM3?

(* jcl *)

Did it used to work? Or is it a brand new board?

Try pressing the reset button just before you upload. If you do not have /RTS confgured properly you will not get an automatic reset.

Are you sure that the USB port is COM1 or COM3?

Those are the only 2 ports listed and it used to work fine on port 3 all the time. The reset button does nothing.

Did it used to work? Or is it a brand new board?

it used tow ork perfectly. I was breadboarding something up...and now that I think about it I think I accidentally hooked 12v to the arduino. I think I fried the atmega328

I was breadboarding something up...and now that I think about it I think I accidentally hooked 12v to the arduino. I think I fried the atmega328

Ummm....yeah, that would be it :)

http://www.ruggedcircuits.com

got a new at328, works beautifully :)