Can't upload to new Nano

I've just gotten a new Arduino Nano; when powered, the pin 13 LED just blinks.

When attempting to upload to it on Windows XP, I get this message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

And when attempting to upload to it on OSX, I get this message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

For neither one does the board appear to reset; the pin 13 LED just continues to blink at me. Manually resetting while attempting to upload appears to do little to no good, changing nothing- whenever I do manually reset, the LED blinks once, then continues, after a short pause, to blink continuously again. I've checked the port and the board type, and neither of them appears to be the problem, or at least changing them doesn't do any good.

Any ideas?

..a new Arduino Nano

Do your other Arduinos work? Have you selected : - The correct board? - The correct (virtual) COM Port?

The board type is definitely correct; as for the port, the TX light blinks once or twice when the upload begins, then never does again. I haven't had the chance to attempt this with another arduino- this is the first one I (or anyone I know) has ever acquired.

So the hardware connection is o.k. The error message then indicates that - the chip has no bootloader (this can be the case when tampered with an ISP) - the fuses been corrupted - the chip has no power or stays in a reset condition - it is a different chip (which is impossible for the Nano) - the chip is broken (which is unprobable with a new board)

Would a problem with the fuses be reflected in the power LED? And if not, how would one check them?

I don't have an ISP, although I'll be getting my hands on one fairly quickly- the friend who told me I'd need one of these for a project rather left out a lot of the detail.