Can't upload.

OK this is kind of bizarre.

I can't upload a sketch anymore. I get the error listed below. It used to work.

I have read the trouble shooting link suggested. I found the loopback instructions and tried that. The LEDs flash but I don't get the RX indicator in my terminal program to flash, indicating characters in.

Here is the bizarre part. I can use AVRDUDESS (Windows front end to AVRDude) and it works just fine. I can connect an Arduino board running the ISP sketch and I can read the id of a connected board through the ISP Arduino.

I have uninstalled the Arduino software and then installed it again. Ran updates on the USB to serial chip drivers. Nothing worked. When I ran the loopback procedure I was surprised to not see the RX line activity. How can that break? This has got me scratching my head.

I have tried multiple USB ports and three different boards. As stated, I have reloaded the software. Powered down and restarted the computer. The only thing that I wonder about is that I have a copy of AVRDUDE in a different directory on the machine for use with AVRDUDESS.

I'm a hardware guy. I design electronics for a living. Been doing it for 30 years. I'm not a programmer but I have wrote code for commercial products long ago. This Arduino stuff is me getting electronics back as a hobby.

Any ideas?

I get the following error.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" Using Port : COM12 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x38 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 avrdude done. Thank you. Problem uploading to board.

See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I forgot to say that the sketch I was trying to upload was Blink. Just to keep things as simple as possible. Not that it should matter.

And I also tried the Serial monitor program in Arduino IDE. Didn't work.

I forgot. One more thing. (I hope the last thing) I am running Windows 7.

Hi,

I am also having exactly same error so if you have found the solution then please mention it here..

Thanks

I had a similar problem, having just installed the latest IDE on a "clean" machine running Windows 7. I had previously been using an old Windows XP machine with an early version of the IDE with no problems. I have an Arduino bought a few years ago as part of a tutorial kit. "Blink" is pretty much "Hello World" for Arduinos, so if it is not working it ought to be something obvious. In my case the COM port seemed to be correct. My board has no obvious text on it to indicate the model and I assumed from its similarity in appearance that it was an Arduino Uno. There was some activity on the LED's when attempting to upload but not much. Long story short, I still had the original box for the Arduino and I realised in the later versions of the IDE the Arduino type should have been "Arduino NG or Older". Once I had selected this the uploads worked correctly.

So this may be nothing to do with your issues, but possibly worth double checking the board type is correct.

Back working again. I don't what the problem was. I would have thought that shutting down and re-starting would have fixed it.

Hi same thing happened to me. I load the boot loader into to arduino mega using another arduino mega.Then this hex file "Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Mega2560-Rev3.hex" load into the atmega16u2 chip also using flip software.Both work were done properly.But still i can not load the program and IDE show

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer.

and same thing i did to another arduino mega using mega board as ISP. And to verify thing did same thing again using uno boar as a programmer and mega as to be program board and vise-versa. Those board are work properly.

So then my assumption was this hex file "Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Mega2560-Rev3.hex" not upload into Atmega16U2 chip properly or its not compatible.

I am having the same problems upload not working in Windows 7 64 bit mode from the IDE, reinstall, rebooted, tried 3 different Uno boards... shut off anti-virus. Nothing I am doing is working to run the blink program... I am lost at what to do next other than install a night build?