Cap sense and printing in the serial monitor

Hi
I’ve been looking at the tutorial on the Bare Conductive site for building a capacitive sensor. I have been able to install the CapacitiveSensor Library which I believe is an earlier version of the CapSense Library (which I haven’t been able to install properly because when I try to use the example sketch I get the error message "no matching function to call CapSense::CapSense(int, int)). And when I use the demo sketch for Capacitive Sensory Library provided in the tutorial with my circuit I see a reading in the serial monitor that has four columns of numbers.
The first column has huge high numbers (in the 3000s), the second is connected to the paint and show the changing values when I put my hand near the paint, and last two columns fluctuate between -1-2). So, all I want to print in the serial monitor are the values of the sensor that is part of the circuit in this case digital pins 2 and 4. When I comment out the other readings as shown below I get a speedy version of the values racing at top speed across the serial monitor. How can just write the sensor values in a single column to the serial monitor so the values look like this:
etc. etc.?
here is the example code

#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>

/*
 * CapitiveSense Library Demo Sketch
 * Paul Badger 2008
 * Uses a high value resistor e.g. 10M between send pin and receive pin
 * Resistor effects sensitivity, experiment with values, 50K - 50M. Larger resistor values yield larger sensor values.
 * Receive pin is the sensor pin - try different amounts of foil/metal on this pin
 */

CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_2 = CapacitiveSensor(4,2);        // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 2, pin 2 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil if desired
//CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_6 = CapacitiveSensor(4,6);        // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 6, pin 6 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil
//CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_8 = CapacitiveSensor(4,8);        // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 8, pin 8 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil

void setup()                    
{
   cs_4_2.set_CS_AutocaL_Millis(0xFFFFFFFF);     // turn off autocalibrate on channel 1 - just as an example
   Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()                    
{
    long start = millis();
    long total1 =  cs_4_2.capacitiveSensor(30);
   // long total2 =  cs_4_6.capacitiveSensor(30);
   // long total3 =  cs_4_8.capacitiveSensor(30);

Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in milliseconds
    Serial.print("\t");                    // tab character for debug windown spacing

Serial.print(total1);                  // print sensor output 1
    Serial.print("\t");
   // Serial.print(total2);                  // print sensor output 2
   // Serial.print("\t");
   // Serial.println(total3);                // print sensor output 3

delay(10);                             // arbitrary delay to limit data to serial port 
}

The first column has huge high numbers (in the 3000s)

That would be because of this code:

Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in milliseconds
    Serial.print("\t");                    // tab character for debug windown spacing

Given that hint, you really should be able to determine what the rest of the code is doing, and stop it from doing things you don't want.

yes-I did all is fine-but I guess what I would like to know is what the comment means “check on the performance in milliseconds”
thanks

Each time through the loop() function in your program this line of code is executed    long start = millis();It sets the variable start to the number of milliseconds that have elapsed since the program started or the Arduino was last reset..

This line of code    Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in millisecondsprints the number of milliseconds that have elapsed since the value of the start variable was stored at the beginning of the loop() function. It shows how long the code between the two lines took to execute, which could be used to see whether changes to the intervening code improved the speed of the program or not and/or could be used to track down a performance bottleneck.